Difference in AR's AK's and SK's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savynana

Marksman
Reaction score
I hope this is the right forum.If not I apologize. I am not only a newbie to this site but to guns in general. In the last few months my husband and I have aquired a few hand guns and now are interested in long guns, What is the difference in AK's, SK's, and AR's? In your opinion which are better and for what reason, also what brands to obtain and to stay away from, prices to pay and the like. I have been doing alot of reading on this site but am basically still confused. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
man I just knew this was going to be the longest thread in osa history. I wish I had the time to delve into this. I will just say there is a ton of real information on the web, just google it. there are many websites that will be helpful. The above is very funny and will liken all the opinions you will get here.
check out..

sksboards.com
ar15.com

don't know of the all knowing akforum, but I think glocktalk.com has one, there is the akfiles.com, sometimes those guys can be pretty crude and dumber than a box of rocks, but that is what is good about the web, you get the good with the bad.

Good luck on your new found hobby, have many varieties of the above rifle and very few ever failed..some where prettier than others, some where really cheap in days gone by (early 90's) , an Ar-15 you can spend from about $650 to whereever you want to stop, ak's (not real but the semi-clones) can range from about $350 to High $900's or higher...Auctionarms.com then check for your item and add criteria of sold in last 60 days will give you an idea of value. Gunbroker.com is also a good place to find value of an item...you will see prices all over the place, but if you check under the solds, you can see the light better.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it is all in what you like as far as shooting goes. Now I have never had anything good with the SKS. I would take my AK any day over them. I have had a few of them, but only because I bought them cheap. I seen one the other day in a pawn shop for $145.00 and I left it on the shelf for someone else. The ARs are fun, but have some querks. I only shoot brass ammo in mine and they need more love and care if you want it to be depenable. I have an old stainless mini 14 that will shoot anything you put in it and it never misses a beat. I have 3 ARs now, but I will never sale my mini 14. The AKs are built simple and will shoot anything.
Like I said. It is all in what you like. I am sure there are people who like the SKS and not the mini 14. I wont buy an SKS unless I can get it for about $125.00. That is just so I can use it for trading material.
I think one of the best long guns you can buy for plinking is a Ruger 10-22, but that is just me.:gun2:

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let's make this a bit easier....

What would make a desirable semi auto long gun for you?

If you could just make a wish list for what you want a gun to do for you, what would it be.

Half this board is full of posts just arguing the value between different brands and chamberings of AR-15's. We need to be able to narrow it down to things that are important to you in order to give the best answer.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're interested in long guns, do you and your husband a favor and attend an Appleseed marksmanship clinic. Not only will you learn all the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship, from the simple basics through advanced techniques, but you will also get a lot of insight from the instructors and the other shooters into what type of rifle would best suit your needs. You will get to see several examples of all different types of battle rifles, and the owners are usually kind enough to let you handle them and even shoot them. Heck, between me and the other Appleseed instructors in this area, we all own multiple versions of all of those rifles you mentioned plus several other options you might be interested in, and we are all happy to help out anybody who is interested in learning "the ways of the Rifleman." :) You'll also learn some great Revolutionary War history and heritage.

Women attend our clinics for free, and it would only be 70 bucks for your husband. We're actually having a clinic on April 17 and 18 in Grandfield, OK. If you don't have any rifles to bring, you can borrow a couple of our "Liberty Training Rifles." That way you can learn all the fundamentals by shooting cheap .22 ammo, without having to pay hundreds and hundreds for battle rifles and ammo, only to learn that you would rather have bought something else. Learning rifle marksmanship might really affect your decision on what type of battle rifle to get!

After I went to my first Appleseed a few years ago, and actually learned the right way to shoot a rifle, my ideas on what kind of rifle is most desirable changed quite a bit. I used to just like what looked "cool" or "tactical." But as I learned the power of long-range rifle marksmanship, and the power of one man being able to control the "Rifleman's Quarter Mile" (hitting anything you can see within 500 yards), my ideas on what rifles were "cool" changed!

Now here's my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt: If I had to choose one rifle to cover all bases, I would pick an M-14 type rifle, such as a Springfield M1A or any of the other M-14 variants out there. There's not really any such thing as a bad M-14. You can get a Springfield for around the $1400 range brand new, and sometimes you see a Norinco or a Polytech for less than $1000 at gun shows.

Or if that's too rich for your blood, my next choice would be an M-1 Garand from the CMP for $500. That's the deal of the century on firearms as far as I'm concerned. The M-1 may be an old design, but it can still get the job done, and can do it better than most "modern" rifles if you ask me.

The FN FAL is a really good choice, too, and they are usually priced somewhere between an M-1 and an M-14.

Or if you're really tight for cash, and you can't afford more than a couple hundred dollar rifle, I would go with an Enfield No.4. It is a bolt-action, but it has a 10 round mag and an exceptionally smooth bolt. But buy that $500 M-1 Garand as soon as you can afford it!

The things that the M-14, the M-1, the FAL, and the Enfield all have in common are: accuracy, range, knockdown power, reliability, excellent iron sights, common ammo, and availability of spare parts.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After I went to my first Appleseed a few years ago, and actually learned the right way to shoot a rifle, my ideas on what kind of rifle is most desirable changed quite a bit. I used to just like what looked "cool" or "tactical." But as I learned the power of long-range rifle marksmanship, and the power of one man being able to control the "Rifleman's Quarter Mile" (hitting anything you can see within 500 yards), my ideas on what rifles were "cool" changed!

Hey now some of us can use tacticool rifles at 400 and 500 yards. They just might not hit as hard as a 7.62.:hey3:

A very quick generic overview:

AR: American designed, removeable magazines, usually chambered in .223/5.56x45mm, lots of parts and support available, easily customized

AK: Soviet design, removeable magazine, usually chambered in 7.62x39 or 5.45x39, simple and robust,

SKS: Soviet design, fixxed magazine, chambered in 7.62x39, most traditional looking of the three

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A very quick generic overview:

AR: American designed, removeable magazines, usually chambered in .223/5.56x45mm, lots of parts and support available, easily customized

AK: Soviet design, removeable magazine, usually chambered in 7.62x39 or 5.45x39, simple and robust,

SKS: Soviet design, fixxed magazine, chambered in 7.62x39, most traditional looking of the three

Decent summary, with the addition:

AK and AR mags (good ones) are both available in the $13-$15 range.

AK ammo(7.62x39) is still about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of AR (.223/5.56N)

An AR will generally be more accurate, out of the box, though this is very relative, and the development of good ammo(US made) is a significant part of that.

AR's have better sights and are completely modular. AKs are less modular, but very tolerant of "larnin' yer gunsmithin'" on them.:cool:

Latest posts

Top Bottom