Difference in AR's AK's and SK's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both of you go to a gun store and handle an AR and an ak. Pick out the one that you liked the best. Generally, the AR 15 is more accurate and easier to hit things with at longer range. The AK 47 is about half of the cost of the AR .The AK costs not that much more than the sks and takes removable magazines and it looks cooler. The sks and ak both use the same ammo but between those two I recommend the ak, unless you just like the looks of the sks better. The AK 47 is a more simple weapon, easier to use, easier to clean and I think I would recommend it for a new shooter and especially one that likes to shoot a lot because ammo is cheaper. After you get more experienced, you can always sell it and upgrade to an AR

Eric

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey now some of us can use tacticool rifles at 400 and 500 yards. They just might not hit as hard as a 7.62.:hey3:

A very quick generic overview:

AR: American designed, removeable magazines, usually chambered in .223/5.56x45mm, lots of parts and support available, easily customized

AK: Soviet design, removeable magazine, usually chambered in 7.62x39 or 5.45x39, simple and robust,

SKS: Soviet design, fixxed magazine, chambered in 7.62x39, most traditional looking of the three

Decent summary, with the addition:

AK and AR mags (good ones) are both available in the $13-$15 range.

AK ammo(7.62x39) is still about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of AR (.223/5.56N)

An AR will generally be more accurate, out of the box, though this is very relative, and the development of good ammo(US made) is a significant part of that.

AR's have better sights and are completely modular. AKs are less modular, but very tolerant of "larnin' yer gunsmithin'" on them.:cool:

Good job, guys. I think those are the most newb-friendly answers, and well put. I would only add that there is a reason 6 year old kids in Africa can handle and shoot the AK. It is a VERY easy gun. I started with an m1, and while it's still my go-to rifle, it's a little big and heavy for some, and it's expensive to learn on. Plus, it's a little more complicated to take down and clean, for a newb. However, keep in mind the history and purpose of this rifle - it was designed as the front lines battle weapon for the US in WW2, and was so accurate and powerful that many were refitted as sniper rifles and were still seeing use up into Vietnam.

I moved on to an SKS, which fires a medium round, and has an internal box magazine. Tapco makes a detachable magazine mod, but I tried it, and I honestly prefer the factory box - just takes practice to get fast with stripper clips. The SKS a lot easier to carry around than my M1, and perfectly accurate for any distances I was shooting, and while it will take a deer without a problem, it's not going to knock a deer off its hooves liket he M1's 30-06 round, and I wouldn't want to hunt anything larger than that with the SKS. The SKS was never a front lines battle weapon, to my knowledge, and is largely a sporting/medium game hunting rifle.

I finally moved on to the AK. It's the smallest of all the rifles, the lightest, and though it fires the same bullet as the SKS, it has a much shorter barrel, and thus, a shorter accurate range. However, if I had to hike through the woods with any of the above, it would be the AK. It's lightweight, accurate at any distance I'd be shooting, WILL NOT FAIL ON YOU, is basically point-and-click simple, can be taken apart and put back together with common sense, even by someone new to rifles, requires cleaning less often, and holds 30 rounds in the largest reliable magazine you can get, and mags can be swapped out quickly and easily. The AK is the most popular rifle in the world because it's cheap, easy, reliable, and effective. While you're not going to win any marksmanship contests with it, it will always be there for you, and it will always put lots of lead downrange in the direction you want it to - rain, snow, sand, mud, or apocalypse.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey now some of us can use tacticool rifles at 400 and 500 yards. They just might not hit as hard as a 7.62.:hey3:

Well you and that Marine sure proved you can hit that far with 16" ARs at the OKC Appleseed!

I would say the AR might be the best choice if you think the most likely use for the rifle will be in an urban environment or at mostly closer range (like under 300 yards). They are very light and maneuverable, and they are the most deadly at close range where the bullet is at maximum velocity. They are very quick to reload, and you can carry more ammo than with a 7.62. They are extremely optics-friendly. Reliability isn't as bad as they sometimes get accused of having!

AKs are die-hard reliable. I've had 5 or 6 of them, and I've NEVER had one jam or malfunction on me, whether I cleaned them or not. Its the kind of rifle that will be around a lot longer than you will, whether you take care of it or not. They are not incredibly accurate, but they aren't as bad as they sometimes get accused of, either! I have a cheap Romanian AK that will hold under man-sized groups out to 400 yards (and I know it could go farther if I had the range to test it on!). Bottom line: your average AK isn't as accurate as your average AR, but it does have a little more knockdown power with the fatter bullet. An AK would be a good short-range rifle choice.

I reccommended the bigger battle rifles like the M14 if you could only choose one rifle to cover all your bases with, but the truth is that no rifle is perfect for all situations. The best you could do would probably be a 7.62 battle rifle AND an AR or AK. The battle rifle is exceptional at long range and can still do OK at short range; the carbine is exceptional at shorter ranges, but is still capable of making some longer shots if you need to. It boils down to how you expect to be using the rifle. I suppose my bias toward the longer range rifles is somewhat telling about how I mostly expect to use mine if a "second amendment situation" ever arises. I'm all about being able to put hits on the other guy when he can't put hits on me! To me, using a rifle at close range is a last resort and is to be avoided at all costs.

Reaction score
In your opinion which are better and for what reason, also what brands to obtain and to stay away from, prices to pay and the like.

It would take a small to medium sized book to even summarize the answers to those questions, given the dozens of types of AKs, and the tens of dozens of variations in AR15, AR10, and related families of rifles out there.

You'll have to narrow your questions down to more specific ones, and ask one at a time.

The FIRST thing you should come to realize is that turnbolt rifles are by far and away the most popular type of centerfire rifle, for many very good reasons - far far more popular than semi-autos. The turnbolt is generally the best choice for a first centerfire rifle, generally the best choice for a just one centerfire rifle, and generally the best choice for a "type of rifle I have the most of". When you factor in single shots, leverguns, and pumps, in addition to turnbolt, the combined popularity of these dwarfs that of semi-autos by comparison, for several good reasons (most notably more reliability and lighter weight). Now there's nothing wrong with semi-autos, and I love them too - just giving you the big picture here, since you said you're new to longguns.

The second thing to realize is that your first rifle ought to be a .22 or other rimfire, not a centerfire. That's a whole nuther can of worms there.

But to address your initial questions:

An SKS (not SK), is Simonev designed rifle, used by the Russian military in the 40s, before the invention of and transition to, the AK47/Kalashnikov type rifles. It's a good rifle, but heavy. Uses a short-stroke gas piston system and most use a fixed 10 round magazine. Chambering is 7.62x39. They used to be plentiful and cheap, but not anymore. There are many varieties: Yugoslavian, Russian, Chinese, and others. These are surplus guns only; no new manufacture; hence the rapidly-rising prices.

Kalashnikov (AK47 and later, AK74, and many many clones thereon): as mentioned, successor as the main Russian military small arm, invented in 1947, also shooting 762x39. Uses an extremely reliable long-stroke gas piston system. Very hardy, durable, reliable, and cheap-to-make weapon, but lacking in ergos and often lacking in top accuracy. Many new manufacture in a variety of types, calibers, and configurations, from the USA and other countries. Most commonly offered to civilians in semi-auto form in the original AK47 chambering of 762x39 and in the original AK74 chambering of 5.45x39mm.

AR10 and AR15: Invented by Gene Stoner of Armalite for the US Military in the 50s. First the AR10 for the 762x51 round, then later for the new 556x45 round, renaming it AR15. Adopted by the US Mil as the M16, then later A2, A3, and A4 versions, and it's little brother the M4. The semi-auto-only civilian rifles of this type are generally referred to as AR15 types. Now they can be had in the original 556x45 mm and about 50 other chamberings, in any config imaginable, from SBR up to 26" bbls or more. Known for lightweight, excellent accuracy, and with the direct impingement gas system (no gas piston), known as being more finicky and less reliable when running dirty, and dirtying up quickly due to the direct impingement system. Colt and FN make most of the US Mil rifles. Colt, FN, and about 100 other companies offer the civilian versions for sale (non-select-fire). Hugely popular for good reason.

Jam Master Jay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't take the word of anyone else when buying a gun. Definitely go out and handle and shoot each type. They each have their pros and cons. I have one of each and I like them all.

This may surprise some people here, but between my $1000 AR, $400 AK and $125 SKS I often tend to favor the SKS, though I'm not really sure why.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One consideration that comes to my mind immediately, you should ask yourself, "Do I like cleaning and maintaining my guns?" Is taking 20-30 minutes or even maybe an hour to clean and properly lube your rifle/carbine and pistol too much trouble? If so, I reccomend an AK-47 type carbine,16" barrel. A specific U.S. manufacturer I have personal experience with is Arsenal Inc. in Las Vegas, Nevada. Their carbines are priced from approx. $900-$1200. Learn the maintenance procedure and do it.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 2 cents is find someone who has all three rifles. Handle, shoot, and see how they feel.

Ar-15 is 5.56 or 223
Ak-47 is 7.62x39
Sks is 7.62x39

I have all three and enjoy all. Again my 2 cents is start collecting all three. They all have pluses and minuses but all pluses out weigh the minuses.

Don't take anyones advice on which one to buy, check them all out and decide for yourself. If anything it will be enjoyable to find the one you like best.

Enjoy the forum and shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom