Digital Cameras - Need Advise!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You only live once....

Said "screw it!" and bought this: Canon EOS Rebel T1i

-B

dude, I'm guessing you didn't check this out on recall.com:angry3:

Looks like that model has a real problem with the battery overheating and causing spontaneous combustion of the camera housing as well as the lens falling off whenever you are around hard objects that it can hit and crack. :pms2::pms2:

Dave

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just remembered while reading Sanford's input.

While looking at my daughters high dollar xmas gift from my son-in-law I ask her why the auto focus is turned off on her (she had it for two years) super camera. Her response "What auto focus" I turned on the autofocus feature and she exclaims "Wow it takes really nice photos now and I don't have to fiddle with the focus." I asked her if she had read the manual and her reply was I have not had time. And she is a teacher for goodness sakes.
:scream:

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still anxiously awaiting the arrival of my camera. In the interim, I have immersed myself in "how to" videos. I think I may have bought too much camera. :yikes2:
Been scouring eBay for "must have" accessories. Oh man...I'm getting discouraged and haven't even received the damn thing yet! lol

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't concern yourself with the minutia right now. Set the camera to as much "automatic" as you can and learn to use it that way. Unless you really want to get into "artistic" endeavors with your camera, most of the manual settings and all will simply confuse you and leave you wondering why a picture "didn't come out" like you thought.

With regards to photography, I like a quote from Ansel Adams, a known photographer of the last century. "There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."

Classes in photography introduce one to "rules."

Other quotes by Ansel Adams:

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/ansel_adams.html

But above all else, have fun.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With regards to photography, I like a quote from Ansel Adams, a known photographer of the last century. "There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."

Classes in photography introduce one to "rules."
I've heard more than one pro photographer say that the two most important things in photography are to know the rules of photography and to ignore the rules of photography. :D Personally, I follow Lenin's maxim ("Quantity has a quality all it's own"), and take lots of pictures on the theory that at least a few will turn out to be good--but you need big memory cards for that. Keep an eye out on Amazon's Deal of the Day/Gold Box for when they run deals on SDHC cards; I go for the Class 10 Sandisk Extreme cards, but you should be good with anything Class 6 or higher.
But above all else, have fun.
Absolutely.

Edit: Here's a link to a current Amazon "special" on Sandisk SDHC cards: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1AYN67WTXFSWEDK1ARHQ

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. :cool:

I just placed my first order for peripherals with Cameta Camera out of New York. (www.cameta.com) Any dealings with them?
I bought a semi hard holster case that included a "kit" of accessories.
All of this to be precise: Canon EH19-L Digital SLR Camera Holster Case [2748B002]
Precision Design 6-Piece Camera & Lens Cleaning Kit [PD-007]
Precision Design Memory Card Storage Wallet [pd-wallet]
Digital Camera/Camcorder Universal LCD Monitor Screen Protectors
1-Year Subscription to Digital Photo Magazine Voucher Card (Must be mailed in to activate)
Free Prints from York Photo
Power2000 ACD-289 Rechargeable Battery for Canon LP-E5 [ACD-289]
Premium Tech Professional Travel Battery Charger for Canon LP-E5 [PT-25]

$67.95 shipped. The case I got is $50 everywhere, so I figured all of the add-ons were worth the additional $17.95....
Camera should be here tomorrow! Pretty stoked.

My plan is to have the camera with me when I work. I work "in the field" and many, many times I wished I had had a camera with me to capture those "Canon Moments." haha I figure that'll also provide the opportunity for LOTS of practice. I'm hoping the case will provide enough protection while riding with me daily, but be discreet enough to not draw attention when I leave it in the truck while I'm away from the vehicle actually performing my duties.

Memory cards: Thanks for the link. Luckily for me/us, the Father's Day Sales are in full effect in today's paper. They are on sale everywhere! lol

Another difficult (for me, anyway) decision: I happen to own a Pelican 1450 case that I bought off of Craigslist last year for $25. (score, I know!) Would I be better off buying a gadget bag for all of the peripheral stuff, or should I spend the money on buying the padded divider set?
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Gadget-Rebel-Cameras-
vs.
http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Padded-Divider-Single-Layer/

Thanks again, guys. I truly appreciate all of the helpful input and advice you experienced photogs have so graciously provided and shared. :patriot:

gunnut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have placed several orders with Cameta Camera over the years and have never had any problems with them.

Yes, the padded dividers for the Pelican case are a must have!

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't personally dealt with Cameta. When I ordered my Nikon D300, they had just been released and there was a significant waiting list just about everywhere. Then, I was reading a forum on DPReview.com and someone posted that Beach Camera (out of New Jersey) supposedly had some in stock.

I got online and ordered and had a brand new D300 in less than a week. On one other occasion, I ordered a camera for my oldest son. (He's the one with our 4 grandkids....hint, hint.) In both cases, we got good service and good pricing.

One other thing to do is start saving up for a good zoom lens that will go out to at least 200mm. My "walk-around" lens is an 18-200mm Nikon lens. A lens of similar capacities will allow you to go from wide angle to close-up when changing lenses will cause you to lose opportunities at good subjects.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:D Personally, I follow Lenin's maxim ("Quantity has a quality all it's own"), and take lots of pictures on the theory that at least a few will turn out to be good--but you need big memory cards for that.

I agree with this 1000% I picked up two 32GB SDHC's when I got my DSLR along with the 8GB that came with it and a few other SD cards I already had from a previous camera. When I take pictures I always snap, rotate 90 and snap again. Sometimes something as simple as an aspect change can make a nice shot a really good one. And minor mistakes will be missed by later shots too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom