Ditching Cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After seeing the note on my monthly Cox bill, "Rate change March 1. . . " I'm at my limit again. I told my wife a couple of years ago that I refuse to pay more than $150 to Cox for Phone, Cable, and Internet. With the rate change next month this will put me over that limit.

I'm highly considering ditching home phone and cable. Then buying an HD antenna for the house and picking up a Hulu/Netflix subscription. My question for those OKC area antenna users. What chanels are you able to pick up with antenna?

From what I have gathered you can get the standard network channels. PBS and PBS Kids. Then there are the religious and spanish channels. A few others as well. My main concern is local networks.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know about okc but I get all local tulsa channels with an antenna. I kicked cox tv to the curb over a year ago got a roku, netflix and amazon prime and have never looked back

edited to add I took my cable bill from 215/mo to 60.99/mo because I still have high speed net.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We ditched Cox 3 years ago and haven't looked back. I'm in edmond and we pick up 4,5,9 Fox, 34, 43, 52 and some of the odd balls. We have been perfectly content just using Netflix. We don't get to watch all the new shows day of but, we can watch all kinds of other shows that we missed. Then we just wait on the current ones to hit Netflix after 6 months or so. We haven't done Hulu yet.

Edit... We only have Cox high speed and that's it. Everything is through our PS3 and Ps4.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We cutoff Dish a few months back, and got a Roku ourselves. We have probably 10-12 channels, but only have around 3-4 that cost money. Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon, plus WildTV (my hunting channel) is still less than $30 I believe. You do have to have wifi in house to run the Roku. Other than missing a few of my favorite predator hunting shows, we honestly sit and watch the same shows as we did with Dish pretty much, with the addition of being able to watch more movies.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ditched Cox cable a long time ago. I just have their internet and may get rid of it and get wireless. I get around 30 channels on antenna here in
Claremore. I read that over the next few years cable will really be going up. Also Time Warner and Comcast are joining up, so less competition. The
cable companies and the telephone company have a monopoly here. One is as high priced as the other. Our only hope is that wireless or wi-fi will
get here for free like Google is doing in some places.

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
never, ever, had cable. No dish. If it wasn't over the air I didn't watch it...........Cheap yeah sure..........but I have saved nearly $30,000 yes thirty thousand dollars, since the early eighties when all that crap came out.
I bee happy as that money went to other non-sensical things like, ars, colts, etc.....

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I ditched cable/home phone 2 years ago and ditched netflix 6 months ago. I now strictly use Internet to stream current shows. It's great 30minutes after it airs it's on the internet for free. Only spending 40 a month for att's fastest internet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom