I finally cut the cord ..... I mean cable.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
My Cox cable bill has been slowly rising over the course of time. It finally reached $95/mo. - and I have one of the cheapest packages they offer.

I always said if I could find a cheap streaming service that offered Discovery and History channels I'd jump on it. Well, DIRECTV NOW has finally created an app for the Roku streaming box. I got their cheapest package which is a 60+ channel, $35/mo. service. Not only did I get Discovery and History, but BBC America, as well! Now I can watch Doctor Who!

BTW, folks. This is the "early roll-out" of this service and you can get a promo code to get one free month of service instead of the usual seven days.

So far I'm liking what I'm getting. One thing to remember, though. You have to have an over-the-air antenna to get the local channels. I put an HD antenna in my attic last year for emergencies so I'm good.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ditching cable was a smart move; we did it too after getting tired of Cox screwing us on the way over-priced service they provide. Using my Amazon Firestick, a Roku and an in-attic antenna gets me MORE channels than I ever had with cox cable. Sling TV is great. I also cut the old landline out of the picture; so far, all I have missed is the bazillion calls we used to get for Medicare options, a Free Trip to the Bahamas, a set of steak knives, my compooter is broken and I'm here to help, this is not a sales call it is a survey, and similar junk.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend of mine has kodi on his tv and laptop and watches almost any channel you could want including hbo,showtime and cinemax.I am not too technically oriented but hope to find out more about kodi on my next visit.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been landline free for at least 7 years, no cable for almost three now and even dropped paying for streaming services like Netflix where you watch the same crap over and over. Before I killed Netflix I recorded a couple seasons of shows that I don't mind watching multiple times and then killed it. Right now sitting on 1152 movies and tons of tv show episodes, between that and the antenna I am happy. My FreeNAS with Plex was the best investment I ever made and they now have something that can take a HDHomeRun tv tuner and record stuff with it so I can DVR anything I want from broadcast and if I get my father to pick one up I can just watch his cable for free.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
To the op: Can you DVR shows with your setup?

Unfortunately, no. There is a USB port in the side so it might record a show but I've never tried.

I still haven't found out how to get FNC off cable. I guess it's on DirecTV Now but I'm unsure how to get that on my SmartTV. Do I need to add a ROKU?

If your Smart TV has has the Roku app on it, you should be able to download the DIRECTV NOW app. I looked at the list of channels on DIRECTV NOW and I didn't see FNC on the list.

As for land lines - I'll never be without one. Most people don't realize that during an emergency or natural disaster, the Emergency Response Units take over ALL the wireless networks (bandwidth) for their use. Civilian use is blocked entirely. I found this out the hard way many years ago during a tornado.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your Smart TV has has the Roku app on it, you should be able to download the DIRECTV NOW app. I looked at the list of channels on DIRECTV NOW and I didn't see FNC on the list.

Looks like you have to subscribe to the $50/mo plan. Crap...

ETA - well maybe not...

Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom