Do any of you carry a rifle or shotgun in your car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I realize the CCW permit doesn't allow us to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in the passenger compartment, but in the trunk, it is legal, if I am reading the laws correctly.

So the old saying goes, the purpose of a handgun is to fight your way to the trunk, where the rifle is.

Personally, I wonder more and more about the world I live in, and while I will keep a shotgun in the house for home defense (when I can afford to buy one), I have also considered whether being overly cautious and keeping a shotgun or (more likely) rifle in the car might not be a bad idea. I am hard-pressed to imagine a scenario where I would have occasion to bring it to bear, but then, I'm sure it would have come in handy in some circumstances in the last few years... that armored bank robber thing in California comes to mind immediately, but I have never heard a home defender or police officer say they had too much firepower available in any given situation. :saywhat: Some of the members here who talk about having a gun in every room of the house, every vehicle, etc., made me think of this.

So... can anyone think of a point where that might be a good idea?
:bolt:

Of course, in my car, it would have to be unloaded at all times, since I don't have a trunk, only a hatchback. :(

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i carry GI m1 carbine in bore store buried in back area of my trunk,under tools and such,dirted it up some too.keep ammo (15rd clips)in green bandolier,separated from gun and also hidden.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I realize the CCW permit doesn't allow us to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in the passenger compartment, but in the trunk, it is legal, if I am reading the laws correctly.

Of course, in my car, it would have to be unloaded at all times, since I don't have a trunk, only a hatchback. :(

TITLE 21 § 1289.13. Transporting a loaded firearm

"However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or
magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior
compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act."

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The law is different on long guns for CHL holders vs non-CHL holders. For those who answer, please try and specify which case you are talking about.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK...let me get this right. The law states that as a licensed concealed carrier I am allowed to keep my AR (loaded, but unchambered) in the vehicle?

Like the guy posted above,

TITLE 21 § 1289.13. Transporting a loaded firearm

"However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or
magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior
compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act."

Read it.

jej

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am reminded of the old country sheriff who spoke at the Rotary meeting one day. He was in his usual attire - jeans, boots, western shirt and Stetson hat with his sidearm on his hip.

After the meeting, a woman approached him, thanking him for his presence today and his speech. She then asked, "sheriff, I see you have your gun on. Are you expecting trouble?"

The sheriff smiled and calmly answered, "no ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I woulda brought my shotgun."

A long gun - whether it be rifle or shotgun is ALWAYS a better choice than a pistol/revolver. Like tRdoc said...your CC pistol/revolver is just a tool to get you to your long gun.

Click on my signature and read "The Rules" and pay close attention to Rules #1 and #6. :thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom