Do Tiny Auto Pistols Jam more than full size Auto?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayberg

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several hundred rounds through my Kahr PM9 and not a single problem. It's all FMJ. I'm gonna start shooting the Zero at TFTA to get HP experience through it.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks... sharp eyes!

another OSA member just showed my how to date my PPK .380
it's markings indicate 1968.... on feed reliability again correct.

PPK with FMJ feeds without a hitch, never had a failure to fire. but cannot say the same with defensive hollow point ammo.

IMHO your auto pistol is not proven reliable until a minimum of several hundred rounds have been shot. since most mouse guns are carried with $30 per 20 self defensive ammo (hollow point). that's the ammo/pistol combo that needs to be proven.

1911 Gold Cup normally shoots 50-100 rounds FMJ .45 per session. it's NEVER fail to fire. every possible part internally has been polished. feed ramp has a mirror shine, etc.

naturally I'd trust my 1911 with FMJ .45 ... but not with defensive ammo. since I have not shot enough rounds through my 1911 to prove reliability.

thank goodness 1911 with FMJ .45 has plenty of firepower to not need funky defensive ammo.

surely someone out there has done it... but personally know of no one that's shot several hundred rounds of defensive ammo at $30 per 20 through their auto pistol.

this is why PPK is retired to the gun safe and 340PD is carried all day long as my CCW.

Nice Walther PPK, and I'll take a guess its made prior to 1968. If thats the case then its probably reliable with ball ammo, and chokes on hollow points. Most of your older Walther PP/PPK/PPKs pistols were never meant to be shot with anything but ball ammo aka FMJ. Now some of the older ones will function just fine, a little polishing of the feed ramp will sometimes help these out. I have several pocket guns, and a couple a little larger but in the smaller calibers. A couple of them will run all day on FMJ fodder, but show them a HP, and forget about it, while others run fine with either.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
<original text snipped
surely someone out there has done it... but personally know of no one that's shot several hundred rounds of defensive ammo at $30 per 20 through their auto pistol.

this is why PPK is retired to the gun safe and 340PD is carried all day long as my CCW.

Well, Yes and No.

I currently have only four semi-auto pistols and three of the four have from 500-2000 rounds of defensive ammo thru them. However, I don't pay $30 per 20. I usually buy in bulk, 100-500 rounds at a time and my average price is probably $35 per 50. That's still lots of $$. I bought a bunch as I found good prices on it, but have to admit my stock is getting low due to the ammo crunch this past year. Most of what I shoot is Speer GDHP and most was bought in 50 rd LE boxs. Ammo to Go used to be my main supplier and sometimes ammo man in larger quantities. One of my semi-autos is my 1911 which is more of a nostalgic range gun to remind me of my 20+ Army years (a long time ago). It has only had ball in it and I actually had more problems with it when I got it. It's okay now, but my SIGs and my Kahr have never malfunctioned. I actually fire more defensive ammo thru my semi autos than I do my four revolvers because I know the revolvers will go bang. I alternate carry depending on my requirements but am totally confident in my semi-autos. I sure like the revolvers tho!

Latest posts

Top Bottom