does anyone here grow potatos?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have some planted and they have grown pretty well, but they have never bloomed? I know there are some taters in the dirt because I can see them occasionally, I just keep covering them back up. Well I got a little ansty the other day and dug up one because the vine was dying back and its a whole potato but its growing a new plant up out of it? Why do they make one potato then grow new vines? Is that normal?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you waited too long to pick them.

I plant mine on top of the ground, and cover them with a foot of straw. That way, as they are growing, you can just reach under the straw and pick some.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so I should go ahead and harvest them? Ive read so many conflicting things some people are like pick them after they bloom, mine never bloomed. Others are saying pick them when the vines die back.
im so confused O.o
I have some of them planted in giant pots and another set I planted in a home made potato tower.....

maybe I should just pick them now and start a new set?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine never bloomed either, subprep. I finally dug them all because they died back. We got a pretty decent batch of potatoes but they are all on the smallish side. I covered them with hay/dirt/rabbit poo mixture I made after cleaning out the rabbits' pens several times. Planted some in a barrel and some in the ground. I'll try them again next year, probably all in a barrel then. I need my ground for tomatos and okra and other stuff ... :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom