Perennial veggies?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a kid remember mowing the backyard . Previous owner had planted garlic in one spot. It came back every year and I would mow it down every week.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a kid remember mowing the backyard . Previous owner had planted garlic in one spot. It came back every year and I would mow it down every week.
Same with bunch or wild onions. The onions I planted a couple years ago are doing great and spreading.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/perennial-veggies.354741/page-2
Does anyone grow any of these besides Asparagus?

https://returntonow.net/2023/03/23/...IDj6APeRKbkYaV0xPs27pIV9ORN4dXy-iwhLgaRRqpZ8Q

I forgot, I do have some bunch onions growing and I am sure some of you do too.
Yes Asparagus, just put some in

Artichokes grew these in Seattle but would lose them to freeze every few years so they will be an annual in OK. Cardoon, A cousin to the artichoke might make it here but these are grown for stalks rather than edible flowers.

Kale is generally a biannual but sometimes a perennial I grew a perennial kale Kosmic Kosmic Kale Transplant | Territorial Seed
I believe it may be a sea kale (crambe)rather than a true kale (brassica). It was ok, not as good as regular kale if that is any indicator. Pretty plant though.

I haven't grown walking onions but know people who have and they can turn into a mess

I grew a sunchokes as well but you have to manage them. Also they give some people terrible stomach pains and will give most people gas if you eat slot of them.

Runner beans need a warmer winter to perennialise and will be an annual here. consequently they also do not like heat and are typically grown in regions roo cool for green beans to thrive.

Day lilies are ideal for Oklahoma and I believe there are both native and naturalized species.

Radiccio is just an endive, like chicory, and is not a true perennial. Also I believe our spring heats too quickly for it to head.

I've grown ruhbarv... Because it was already there. Hate it. Personal preference

Latest posts

Top Bottom