Perennial veggies?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We planted heirloom cherry tomatoes several years ago, and the dropped fruit grows more plants multiple times a year. The tomatoes have gotten fleshy/thick and a little odd shaped, but they still taste sweet and go well on salads. Not perennial, but kinda neat results for no effort.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have a few rhubarb in the garden. From what I've been told, you have to wait until the 3rd year to harvest. A few are finally getting their red stalks.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tomatoes were originally a weed and self seeded themselves or grew runners. The hairs on the stems are potential roots, that is why you plant them deep. They grow out and then down and when they touch the ground again, they can root down if it is not the woody part.

Horseradish is a tuber and is harvested in the early spring. I grated up a bunch yesterday. I love it on meats and if you use rice vinegar, lemon juice, and Grey Poupon Mustard, you get a really potent Chinese Mustard. Cleans my sinuses!

Arty chokes, three for a dollar at Safeway. Old joke.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
kale isn’t a perennial
nor are onions or garlic in a the practical sense, in that perennials are really only a positive as far as a crop as long as you
Dont harvest and use the entire plant. Which you
Do, in the case of onions ramps or garlic.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can grow a lot of fiddleheads, you could make a lot of money selling them to gourmet restaurants.

Latest posts

Top Bottom