Does the 10 Commandments monument at the OK capitol benefit or support Christianity?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was basically an example of an atheist evangelistic rant. I don't believe in group prayer. Know what I do when people choose to pray as a group? I keep my mouth shut and respect others, only I don't bow my head. When I hear people talk about how they don't believe in God, know what I do there? I keep my mouth shut and respect others, no matter if its if a public building or not. Unfortunately, a lot of athiests these days cannot do that.
Should prayer be a required part of a school's ciruculum? Hell no. Should ANYONE be allowed to pray in school? Of course, regardless of their faith.
And why should that be offensive? Because people like to be offended.

I don't think you quite understood me. First off, it was no rant. Second, we're on the same page as far as prayer in public schools. If kids want to pray in their down time, go nuts, little dudes! Should the principle come over the intercom and do a school-wide prayer? Absolutely not. Third, I wasn't referring to anyone being offended, but going on the offensive. Like in war or sports, not the act of one getting their feelings hurt.

If I'm in a public or social setting (wedding, funeral, family reunion, company picnic, etc) and the group wants to say a prayer, I remain silent and respect their wishes to do so. If the same thing were to happen at the beginning of my daughter's class (she attends public schools), that's not okay and that does not deserve respect, as it's an offensive move intolerant towards other religious beliefs, the lack thereof, and the Constitution.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't think you quite understood me. First off, it was no rant. Second, we're on the same page as far as prayer in public schools. If kids want to pray in their down time, go nuts, little dudes! Should the principle come over the intercom and do a school-wide prayer? Absolutely not. Third, I wasn't referring to anyone being offended, but going on the offensive. Like in war or sports, not the act of one getting their feelings hurt.

If I'm in a public or social setting (wedding, funeral, family reunion, company picnic, etc) and the group wants to say a prayer, I remain silent and respect their wishes to do so. If the same thing were to happen at the beginning of my daughter's class (she attends public schools), that's not okay and that does not deserve respect, as it's an offensive move intolerant towards other religious beliefs, the lack thereof, and the Constitution.
As part of a routine I would agree about prayer in the class, but if the teachers offered to say a little prayer with the kids here and there for say a classmate who broke his leg or some tragedy then I don't see a problem as long as no one is forced. Prayers can be made very generic to include all. That's basically well wishing and I see no issue. Condemning that is offensive and intolerant to me, especially since most of the kids in any given class practice one religion or another. I think it is very telling that Christianity is the only religion by name that is typically attacked in debates such as this. To me it looks like religion is being attacked primarily by liberals because most conservatives are Christians and all the while we are told to accept and respect the Muslim faith.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could go along with you if the occasional prayer ended with, "....and athiests are stoopid." Then you'd have a reason to be offended.

lol... I don't know if atheists could be offended by it or not. I could respect the opinions of those praying, and know the prayer is said to a fictitious character of the worlds best selling book. And I'd die defending our rights to both those opinions:)

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As part of a routine I would agree about prayer in the class, but if the teachers offered to say a little prayer with the kids here and there for say a classmate who broke his leg or some tragedy then I don't see a problem as long as no one is forced. Prayers can be made very generic to include all. That's basically well wishing and I see no issue. Condemning that is offensive and intolerant to me, especially since most of the kids in any given class practice one religion or another. I think it is very telling that Christianity is the only religion by name that is typically attacked in debates such as this. To me it looks like religion is being attacked primarily by liberals because most conservatives are Christians and all the while we are told to accept and respect the Muslim faith.

Christianity appears to be attacked most of all because it's the dominant religion in the U.S., which for too many Christians, they believe this allows for them to have an open road to apply direct Christian teachings or practices without resistance. When they do encounter resistance, they scream intolerance and a war ok Christianity, which simply is not true. If it is a war, it's one started by Christians with their offensive moves to push their faith.

I'm not an authority figure for all atheists, but you better believe that we would be standing hand in hand with Christians if there were Islamic prayer in our public schools.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Christianity appears to be attacked most of all because it's the dominant religion in the U.S., which for too many Christians, they believe this allows for them to have an open road to apply direct Christian teachings or practices without resistance. When they do encounter resistance, they scream intolerance and a war ok Christianity, which simply is not true. If it is a war, it's one started by Christians with their offensive moves to push their faith.

I'm not an authority figure for all atheists, but you better believe that we would be standing hand in hand with Christians if there were Islamic prayer in our public schools.
I see how that fits your narrative, but I don't see Christianity being pushed on anyone.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Myself, as some who doesn't believe in a personal god or religion/churches, am just fine living in a world where Christianty is somewhat dominant (growing lesser though). Many family and friends of mine are religious and that doesn't effect me at all. I'm happy if they're happy and I hope it goes both ways. Because, according to my belief, it's not going matter in the end so why would it offend me that much while I exist? As long as it doesn't produce people with bad morals then its just fine with me. (Although there are many studies on how religion slows and inhibits growth of science, which DOES effect us)

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Myself, as some who doesn't believe in a personal god or religion/churches, am just fine living in a world where Christianty is somewhat dominant (growing lesser though). Many family and friends of mine are religious and that doesn't effect me at all. I'm happy if they're happy and I hope it goes both ways. Because, according to my belief, it's not going matter in the end so why would it offend me that much while I exist? As long as it doesn't produce people with bad morals then its just fine with me. (Although there are many studies on how religion slows and inhibits growth of science, which DOES effect us)
Sounds good to me

Latest posts

Top Bottom