Does the 10 Commandments monument at the OK capitol benefit or support Christianity?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The 10 Commandments in the Court is supposed to show the historical basis of law. When I was in elem. school We said the pledge and had a prayer every morning. Things began to change in the 60's. When I began teaching elementary school we still said the pledge every morning. But then we had a principal who was upset with some parents complaints about saying the pledge, so, she dropped it and we never said the pledge again. Our school had 600 students. I later found out that one parent of one student complained. Because it offended one student, 599 children were forced to do what the one student wanted. The minority has power. Be careful.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's it, I'm starting a collection for a "Code of Hammurabi" monument. We'll put it next to the 10 Commandments only slightly higher (it's older), so you get that 2 level effect with a little path running down the middle. yea

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That we humans can't abide by them, without a Saviour.

Yes - thank you.

But the one thing I've learned from this thread is that ten people can look at something and see ten different things. A greater readiness to listen and consider other points of view is to be valued over talking.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you feel their presence on public property benefits or supports Christianity?

If no, then what is their purpose?

Assuming The Ten commandments we're ordained and written by God, I would say its benefits christianity. There are hundreds of religions in this world, Oklahoma just happens to be in the bible belt of christianity, so it's good for them. Do I support it? no. Do I support a Satanic statue? no.

Everyone has some kind of faith towards a God or being and they invest vasts amounts of time and money in that faith/belief/god. buddhists, seventh day adventists, catholics, baptists... even atheists believe in something, it just happens not be a god. I believe there is a god, just not in the traditional sense. Even though I was raised christian, I don't really believe in any of the teachings, bible lessons and services that I once attended. I consider myself a scientific man and that everything is based on science. This is for another thread I guess.

Separation of State and church should be just that, separated. Even though everyone should be treated as equals, we are all not the same.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was an excellent way for a Bronze age theocrat to control a tribe in older times. Odd that its still around

Dude, come back and comment on these deep subjects after you grow up and experience life. Things changes once you get your nose out of a textbook and a professors armpit.

Progun223

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a follower of Jesus, I believe this is a post-Christian nation and things such as monuments and writing on buildings trying to state otherwise are a joke. God doesn't need a statue to assert His authority. The world hated Jesus 2000 years ago, and it hates Him now. I'm sad for the depravity of the world, but it's out of my control. God handles His. If have to die for my faith, lets do it. That would be a great way to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom