Does the 10 Commandments monument at the OK capitol benefit or support Christianity?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regardless of how many people in this thread completely misunderstand covenants or how the whole of the bible actually works (Matthew 5:17 Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them")

There is very little proof that the founding fathers used the 10 commandments in writing any of the founding documents (outside of don't kill/steal/bear-false-witness - things commonly adopted everywhere) but rather, used the 5 civilized tribes' pre-existing documentation to write much of the founding documents:

http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/hconres331.pdf

Here's what Ben Franklin had to say:

"It would be a strange thing if six nations of ignorant savages should be capable of forming a scheme for such a union and be able to execute it in such a manner as that it has subsisted ages and appears insoluble; and yet that a like union should be impracticable for 10 or a dozen English colonies."

I'm a devout Christian and I say the 10 have no place being at the OK Capitol, because if the majority of Americans someday belong to another religion, I'd rather not have their laws up on display at our government installations.

Keep the government out of my religion, and I'll keep my religion out of the government.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What people tend to forget is that 'freedom of religion' is not necessarily 'freedom from religion'. Separation of church and state means that the government cannot be run by the church. It doesn't mean we can't pray in schools or have the Ten Commandments on government property. Otherwise, don't you think it might have been an issue a couple hundred years ago instead of popping up in the last couple decades?

Is it constitutional to allocate government property for religious monuments?

If we were to put a monument of Shariah law on the capitol grounds, would that be permissible as well?

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The 10 Commandments do not belong on any government property. This argument proves that Christians are just as extreme as Muslims.

How is that extreme? The USA is a predominately Christian nation whether you agree or not. The only thing that is extreme is your interpretation of separation of church and state. The only reason I'm ok with something like the commandments being at the capital is that the vast majority of the founding fathers were very religious and were influenced by them. Like it or not, the Christian faith has always been a part of our national identity and as long as nobody is being forced into anything, why is acknowledging that so offensive?

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How is that extreme? The USA is a predominately Christian nation whether you agree or not. The only thing that is extreme is your interpretation of separation of church and state. The only reason I'm ok with something like the commandments being at the capital is that the vast majority of the founding fathers were very religious and were influenced by them. Like it or not, the Christian faith has always been a part of our national identity and as long as nobody is being forced into anything, why is acknowledging that so offensive?

Let them go, Dukester. They've strayed too far.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

If I want to see the ten commandments carved into something, I will go to a church and it will probably have it there. I don't want to go to my state capitol and see it. I'm not wanting to go to the capitol and see religious things. Separation of church and state, yo! If Christians can put their 10 commandments at the state capitol, then Pastafarians should get to put their 8 "I'd really rather you didn'ts." as well. Only problem with that is people will throw a HUGE fit.

As I said in my last comment, I don't know what I am saying most of the time. I'm not as wise as some of the other OSA'ers... :)

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If I want to see the ten commandments carved into something, I will go to a church and it will probably have it there. I don't want to go to my state capitol and see it. I'm not wanting to go to the capitol and see religious things. Separation of church and state, yo! If Christians can put their 10 commandments at the state capitol, then Pastafarians should get to put their 8 "I'd really rather you didn'ts." as well. Only problem with that is people will throw a HUGE fit.

As I said in my last comment, I don't know what I am saying most of the time. I'm not as wise as some of the other OSA'ers... :)

If the founders had been Pastafarians then your argument would not be ridiculous.

Latest posts

Top Bottom