Does with fawns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I take the opposite approach. I don’t shoot many does like I used to, but if the damn heifer blows and stomps her foot, she’s dead.
Just ask this one…
View attachment 420187
I shoot quite a few does, but my needs aren’t your needs. And Agreed on the blowing. You bust me- it’s Magua time. Whole blood line.
IMG_2579.jpeg

LittleLoggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on the size of the property. I try to only take a doe when she's alone, or has mature enough fawns, early season. I'll take one out of a group after the rut. All of this advice is based off the fact that i hunt 12 and 5 acre places and what has worked for me.

25-ish acres. But maybe 5-ish acres of trees I’m in. I have “said” access into more land but I’ll stay on his side of the fence. This is my first venture into hunting alone with permission from a landowner. I’m a new hunter and only taken does this last 5 years or so up north. Them couple forks bucks are tempting.

IMG_3702.jpeg

I’ll smoke this spike im so juiced lately.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Well, we found her. SHE IS ALIVE! 14 hours after the shot and she was able to get on her feet and run further into a property that is a no go.
I got permission from the first landowner and as we were trailer her, I was thinking ‘don’t go that way, dang it’. We walked up to that fence and she was 20 yards in. She ran further in.
In 20 years, I think this is my sons first loss. He’s taking it pretty hard.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, we found her. SHE IS ALIVE! 14 hours after the shot and she was able to get on her feet and run further into a property that is a no go.
I got permission from the first landowner and as we were trailer her, I was thinking ‘don’t go that way, dang it’. We walked up to that fence and she was 20 yards in. She ran further in.
nobody likes to lose an animal it happens! it pull at you but. it will feed another animal or 2 .just know you did your best!

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I asked a big game biologist from the ODWC this question back when I moved to OKC and they were having meetings to discuss the proposed deer regulations. He told me that you should shoot the doe and if you have a second tag, shoot the fawn. He said by October 1st that fawns are old enough to survive without the does.

I have orphaned many fawns and don’t feel bad about it at all based on his comments. Hopefully I will get to do the same this year.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could you tell where she was hit? How did she act when you guys saw her 14 hours later?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Could you tell where she was hit? How did she act when you guys saw her 14 hours later?
Looked center of body and maybe an inch or two back. She kinda stumbled getting up but bounded off pretty good.
Everything I saw would indicate to me that she should have been a dead deer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom