Does with fawns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 420162

Still waiting on the hoes to bring the bros.
Only have a couple forks and one basket 6 on cam. So the big doe is #1 on hit list. She in there allll the time. Are these all shooters to y’all? And yes I’m slinging corn by hand. Just got permission to hunt this a week ago. So I’m way behind.
Depends on the size of the property. I try to only take a doe when she's alone, or has mature enough fawns, early season. I'll take one out of a group after the rut. All of this advice is based off the fact that i hunt 12 and 5 acre places and what has worked for me.

I’ll be honest… one year A doe snorted at me so I shot her kid.

Let her think long and hard about what she did.
I had one that blew at me all season last year. Rifle season she popped out at 30 yards, stomping her way toward me, cocky as ever. She blew while staring through me. I sent 150 grains of karma through her windpipe at 25 yards. Sack of potatoes.
20221125_083203.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To clarify about my fawn killing

I was bow hunting and drew on the mom. She caught me and took off and her kid stayed standing there so I did what any A-hole would do.
Kinda makes one feel bad when you shoot momma and the fawn stands over her fallen mom, but like has been said, fawns are very tender.

LittleLoggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on the size of the property. I try to only take a doe when she's alone, or has mature enough fawns, early season. I'll take one out of a group after the rut. All of this advice is based off the fact that i hunt 12 and 5 acre places and what has worked for me.

25-ish acres. But maybe 5-ish acres of trees I’m in. I have “said” access into more land but I’ll stay on his side of the fence. This is my first venture into hunting alone with permission from a landowner. I’m a new hunter and only taken does this last 5 years or so up north. Them couple forks bucks are tempting.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve chosen to shoot both!
Agreed! Shoot all of them and remove your conundrum. I shot all three of them opening day of muzz last year….

I shoot does with fawns. I shoot unbred does. I shoot fawns, atleast one per year. To me- if they’re does, they’re does. Bred or not. And Nothing eats quite like a fawn- sorry, I’m not sorry.

Im not smoking early season does with fawns though, even though I think they’d fare just fine if I did. But we have enough deer and enough food/cover that most fawns will be just fine alone come end of October.

ETA: this is a conscious effort to remove does/deer. It’s not unusual to see 50 deer a night for me. There is lots of cover and lots of food all around me. Buck:doe isn’t too outta whack. There’s not too many deer, but there’s a lot of deer.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As
In most of Oklahoma it would be beneficial to harvest does.
Very true. Another tip to help with the growing doe population is to find a processor that is supporting Hunters against Hungry Program.
You can donate a deer to them, they will process it and distribute it to food banks, etc. They ask for a small donation to cover their expenses, but it's a great way for hunters to help with the overpopulation of does and help some folks that really need some protein in their diet but can't afford it.
Here is a list of processors on the ODW web page by county.
https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hunting/processors/hah
If your processor is not in that program, contact them anyway as some have customers that will pay to have a deer that is donated.
OSA also has a deer donation thread.

Latest posts

Top Bottom