Does with fawns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looked center of body and maybe an inch or two back. She kinda stumbled getting up but bounded off pretty good.
Everything I saw would indicate to me that she should have been a dead deer.
Archery
Gut shot will usually take 20+ hours. Unless liver was additionally hit, then it will be quicker but 6-8 hours is recomended for liver hit.

In the case of doe, it often becomes a case of going after it before it has a chance of spoiling. I understand this and even mention it to hunters who call for assistance on a buck track. I don't blame you for going after it sooner to try and save the meat.

Last edited:

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, we found her. SHE IS ALIVE! 14 hours after the shot and she was able to get on her feet and run further into a property that is a no go.
I got permission from the first landowner and as we were trailer her, I was thinking ‘don’t go that way, dang it’. We walked up to that fence and she was 20 yards in. She ran further in.
In 20 years, I think this is my sons first loss. He’s taking it pretty hard.
If one hunts long enough this eventually happens.
We do our best to place careful shots but sometimes it just happens.

OKBPS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These 2 fawns in our back yard still had their spots. Have no idea where the mother is they just showed up to our feeder without her. They seem to be doing well without a mother. Notice the date. They eventually started hanging out with the spiked buck. You can see the wife and I sitting on the patio watching them and the buck. They are 35 yds away and many times get closer to us especially when they go to our peach tree. There are times when they look at us and just walk on through the yard to a pear tree out front and down the street

We have not seen them in a while and I took the camera down when the batteries went dead. To answer the original question, I have passed and taken does with fawns. I am mainly a meat hunter but won't hesitate to shoot a buck if the opportunity comes. The area I hunt has a lot of does and the wife says the taste is better. I wouldn't shoot a doe if the fawns still had spots but I have never seen any fawns with spots in my area when season has started.

cap_WGI_0006_00_00_14_06.jpg

cap_WGI_0057_00_00_02_01.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom