Doing a little coyote calling tonight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK this is always a confusing issue for people but let me set the record straight.Coyote hunting at night is legal with shotgun only.You must get a permit 24 hours in advance and the permit is only good for 24 hours.Shotgun ONLY with #6 shot or larger(meaning 6,71/2, 8,9etc). You must list on the permit who all will be hunting and where. The permit is only good for coyotes so if you call in the biggest cat of your life he gets a free pass. These regs are not listed in the book but are on the website.There are alot of game wardens that don't even know about this and will try and tell you this law does not exist.I've been doing it for over 20 years and it is legal.

Scott

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK this is always a confusing issue for people but let me set the record straight.Coyote hunting at night is legal with shotgun only.You must get a permit 24 hours in advance and the permit is only good for 24 hours.Shotgun ONLY with #6 shot or larger(meaning 6,71/2, 8,9etc). You must list on the permit who all will be hunting and where. The permit is only good for coyotes so if you call in the biggest cat of your life he gets a free pass. These regs are not listed in the book but are on the website.There are alot of game wardens that don't even know about this and will try and tell you this law does not exist.I've been doing it for over 20 years and it is legal.

Scott

This is correct info.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Scott

Fully understand! My question was about the use of the spotlight.

Jim

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.oar.state.ok.us/oar/code...tmmak31ctijujrgcln50ob7ckj42tbkdt374obdcli00_

Sorry Jim, my statement was mostly aimed at some of the other statements being made.The law is a little confusing, but what I understand and have been told the statement about no spotlight does not apply when you have the permit and are not using a sight dog. The permit itself is much more detailed about what you can and can't do. This probably didn't clear things up much but that's all I have at the moment.This is one of those laws I would really like to see changed and wonder what they were thinking to begin with.

Scott

Latest posts

Top Bottom