Don't Waste Your Time with Dick's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Runner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dick's Sporting Goods is misleading us or maybe it is just false advertisement. One of their Black Friday ads said "50% entire stock of ammunition." The tree ornament graphic in the ad states, "buy one get one." Seemed clear to me and dozens of others in the check out line that the ammo was buy one box get one free. However, the items rung up as buy one box at regular price, get the second box half off. I showed the ad to the cashier and she agreed the system and ad did not agree. So, she took the issue to her manager. The guy at the register next to me was going through the exact same issue. Turns out the manager said he understood how we interpreted the ad the way we did, but that is not what was intended. We were kind, but firm in suggesting they fix the mistake by honoring what they advertised. Manager said they were not misleading or falsely advertising. Of course, we disagreed. We reminded the manager they were the new guy in town and Oklahomans spend a lot of money on our shooting sports. I then told him two things: 1) With his interpretation of Dick's "so called" door buster price, the ammo is more expensive than the competition and 2) he has this one chance to gain or lose me as a customer of Dick's. He chose not to do the right thing and I will never shop at Dick's again. Interesting enough, I checked Dick’s online ads when I got home tonight and the ammo ad has been changed from the print ad. Inside the Christmas ornament, the wording has changed from "buy one get one" to "buy one get one 50% off."

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ad I got in the paper as well as all over the Ammo department stated Buy 1 get one 50% off... I found it very clear, but that didn't stop a lot of guys from still over paying for their ammo. Dicks is very expensive on the ammo.

I did however take them up on some of their gun deals... My boys will be getting 10/22's for Christmas and I got a new Troy rifle.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ad I got in the paper as well as all over the Ammo department stated Buy 1 get one 50% off... I found it very clear, but that didn't stop a lot of guys from still over paying for their ammo. Dicks is very expensive on the ammo.

I did however take them up on some of their gun deals... My boys will be getting 10/22's for Christmas and I got a new Troy rifle.

I had heard they were out of Troy's from pre sales in OKC. If you used the 10% off for their store card it got stupid cheap. I almost wanted to go see about picking one up just because it was a damn good deal IMO

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had heard they were out of Troy's from pre sales in OKC. If you used the 10% off for their store card it got stupid cheap. I almost wanted to go see about picking one up just because it was a damn good deal IMO

The Troy rifle was tempting. If I wasn't already building a .300 Blk Pistol/SBR, I might have jumped on that deal.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never liked Dicks. Like I said before, we had them in STL. They are like an over-priced Academy with less gun stuff.
That said, I have to give it to them on the ad. I knew how the ad read as soon as I seen it.
That is why the ad says that the 2nd item has to be the same, or less value.
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After seeing the ad posted here, I can see how someone might be misled by the layout of the type. "Buy One Get One" in a bright red Christmas tree ornament, and outside of that in the white field, "50% off entire stock of ammunition." A wishful eye might make the mistake of thinking it was "Buy One Get One (Free)" sale with a related "50% off entire stock" sale. The people doing the ad layouts could have made it more clear - or was it really accidental? Reddog and Been might have something to say about conspiracies and the plan :wink2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom