DPMS LR-308 faults

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoBang

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just picked up a new LR-308 and the bolt catch will not hold the bolt back securely enough. If I've got it set, then tap the side of the rifle it will let go and the bolt will go forward. Also, when putting in an empty magazine the bolt will not stay back without engaging the 'hair trigger' bolt catch. My Bushmaster does not behave this way and before calling the mfg I thought I would ask around to see if anyone else had this problem.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How freely does the bolt catch move by itself? Does it bind? Have you tried oiling it or putting a little lithium grease on it? If it's stiff it may not be flipping up enough to catch good.

GoBang

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The catch moves freely and is not binding at all. The bolt will not be held securely with or without the magazine. From my examination, it appears that the bolt catch has a rounded edge where it contacts the bolt, and the little ledge that the catch is supposed to engage on the bolt is too narrow.

GoBang

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I may have the answer. I believe the recoil spring in the collapsible stock is the wrong one and is too long. If anyone has one of these I would appreciate it if you would measure the length of your spring. Mine is exactly 12" long.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is this a a factory gun? or did someone put a collapsing stock on it after it was sold?

The bolt catch should as you figured out pop up in front of the bolt face, not the face of the carrier. Something is wrong in the spring/buffer/buffer tube screw (if it has one).

GoBang

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought the lower receiver at the last Tulsa gun show from a guy who tells me he assembled it from parts that were sent to him. I'm not sure where those parts came from. I'm in contact with him and he says he is ordering the proper spring from DPMS. The buffer is the right one - grey color.

Funny, I sent a detailed message including photos off to DPMS and they have yet to respond to me regarding this.

Attachments

• IMG_6049 copy.jpg
    IMG_6049 copy.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 186

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a difference betwen a rifle length buffer tube buffer and the carbine tube buffer, The springs are not that different, with only a few coils btween the two. Make sure you have a carbine length buffer, not the longer rifle buffer. KurtM

GoBang

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sucks, Hope you get it figured out. I have an LR .308 AP4, Love the thing never had a problem. Just got 5 of the new magpul .308 pmags. $18.95 compared to the stock mags at 50 bucks apiece! Worth every penny they are awsome.

Could you possibly remove the spring and buffer and give them a quick measure for me?

Latest posts

Top Bottom