Dr. Harrington needs to be punished to the full extent of the law

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree.

Tulsa Health Department finds 57 positives for hepatitis C

4/18/13 12:52 PM

The Oklahoma State Department of Health and Tulsa Health Department announced the first round of results related to testing of patients of the W. Scott Harrington dental surgical practice in Tulsa.

On March 28, public health officials advised they were notifying current and former patients of the practice they may have been exposed to blood-borne viruses at Harrington’s Tulsa and Owasso offices and urging them to get tested.

The ongoing investigation has so far identified 57 individuals who tested positive for hepatitis C, and 3 individuals who tested positive for hepatitis B. Positive results have been reported for HIV, but OSDH Data Security Policy regarding HIV disclosure prohibits public reporting of numbers less than 3.

The Oklahoma State Department of Health’s Public Health Laboratory is providing the laboratory analysis on specimens collected at these sites. The lab has completed testing for 3,122 persons.

“We understand these first reported test results may be of concern,” said THD Director Dr. Bruce Dart. “Thorough investigations are routinely conducted upon notification of a positive report for these infections. This response will be handled in the same manner, as disease investigation is a core public health service and staff are well trained to conduct this type of response.”

The OSDH and THD have begun notifying persons who participated in the screening of their test results. Those persons whose tests are positive are being personally contacted and counseled about information specific to the disease for which the test was positive, and they will be directed to resources for appropriate care and follow up. If warranted, testing will be recommended for a spouse or partner.

“This is a complex investigation,” emphasized State Epidemiologist Dr. Kristy Bradley. “The next phase will include more in-depth interviews of persons who test positive to determine the likelihood that their exposure is associated with their dental surgical procedure at the Harrington practice. We will certainly continue to keep the public informed as we learn more.”

Tests used to identify hepatitis B, hepatitis C and HIV are based on the body’s immune response to infection. Persons infected will begin to test positive within weeks with almost all testing positive within six months of exposure. Persons who are tested prior to six months after exposure and are found to be negative should be tested again at six months after exposure to assure they are negative.

To date, 3,235 people have visited county health departments throughout the state to have their blood drawn for testing as part of this public health response. An unknown number of persons have sought testing through their private health care provider.

In the Tulsa metropolitan area, screening continues weekdays at the North Regional Health and Wellness Center, 5635 N. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Patients are advised to call the North Regional Health and Wellness Center directly at (918)595-4380 to schedule an appointment. Walk-ins will still be accepted, however appointments are recommended in order to minimize wait times.

Anyone who was a patient at Dr. W. Scott Harrington’s dental practice should contact the Patient Information hotline (918)595-4500 with any questions. English- and Spanish-speaking public health representatives will be available during normal business hours from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, but with a caveat: punish the man to the full extent of the law AFTER HE IS PROVEN GUILTY.

I have read some, but not all of the stories. BUT it has not yet been proven that he actually gave anyone a disease. Actually showing a link between an infected patient and the Dr. will be difficult.

He had over 5000 patients Some stories say 7000. 33 as of last night had tested positive for Hep-C and under 3 for HIV.

The rate of infection for Hep-C for the general population in the United States is 1.6% - That means based on national averages, 80 to 112 people he treated would be likely to already be infected, yet only 33 actually were. Based on statistics, it does not make a strong case that he was a major cause of Hep-C in the area. His patients only had an infection rate of .066 percent, not a damning number and less than the population as a whole.

So while I agree if you can prove he did it, either willfully or was grossly negligent, lock him up, but I am afraid that the case is more likely being sensationalized and overblown by the media - Its shocking and horrific and gets peoples attention, which seems to be about what the mainstream media is good for these days. In reality, right now, with no proof, the man's livelihood and reputation are ruined, and he has given up his license to practice - so until they can prove something, the man should be left alone. I know the "innocent til proven guilty" thing is not as popular anymore, but should still count for something in my book.

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The conditions he operated under went well beyond criminally negligent. Absolutely no way he didn't know what he was doing or what was going on.

Oh it will be quit easy for the CDC to ID the vector.

Let me give you a comparison...the way he operated his clinic would be like a policeman randomly firing his sidearm in a crowd in all directions with is eyes closed and not expecting anyone to get hurt. Any idiot knows that's incredibly dangerous.

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, but with a caveat: punish the man to the full extent of the law AFTER HE IS PROVEN GUILTY.

I have read some, but not all of the stories. BUT it has not yet been proven that he actually gave anyone a disease. Actually showing a link between an infected patient and the Dr. will be difficult.

He had over 5000 patients Some stories say 7000. 33 as of last night had tested positive for Hep-C and under 3 for HIV.

The rate of infection for Hep-C for the general population in the United States is 1.6% - That means based on national averages, 80 to 112 people he treated would be likely to already be infected, yet only 33 actually were. Based on statistics, it does not make a strong case that he was a major cause of Hep-C in the area. His patients only had an infection rate of .066 percent, not a damning number and less than the population as a whole.

So while I agree if you can prove he did it, either willfully or was grossly negligent, lock him up, but I am afraid that the case is more likely being sensationalized and overblown by the media - Its shocking and horrific and gets peoples attention, which seems to be about what the mainstream media is good for these days. In reality, right now, with no proof, the man's livelihood and reputation are ruined, and he has given up his license to practice - so until they can prove something, the man should be left alone. I know the "innocent til proven guilty" thing is not as popular anymore, but should still count for something in my book.

That is not correct we dont know how many of the 5000 were tested so the numbers you gave are not correct.

OKMike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
#1 innocent until proven guilty
#2 none of us knows full facts
#3 large portion of his patient base was medicaide/ medicare/ soonercare, a pt base with a higher percentage of hep/ hiv/
stds
#4 I agree if wrongdoing proven, hang him high

Latest posts

Top Bottom