duck calls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have two seasons of duck hunting behind me and I'm hooked. I would like to buy some duck calls and learn how to use them. I would prefer to buy a duck call that lasts about 30 years even if it costs a little more. Mike Pinto suggested Macks Prairie Wings. I went there and they had almost 200 calls available. I've read a little about them, but would love to hear some ideas from my fellow forum members. Please tell me about your favorite calls, how hard they are to learn to use and the maintenance requirements for them. Thanks in advance.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a few RNT's. They are great calls, sound very good and raspy, and fairly easy to make decent calls with. The bad part about them is, I have had them freeze up. Only a few times out of many times, but still they have froze up. That is the only down side that I have found with them.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Duck hunting is rough, the only thing I expect to last 30 years is my 870.

Having said that, I'm not one to go and spend hundreds of dollars on calls. I'm currently using a Primos whistle and some no name call that my dad gave me. I'm looking at the duck commander calls, and have a few friends that swear by them.

hubmonkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buck Gardner Double Nasty 2... About 20 bucks and is a good call, just ask my hunting buddys. Calls are good but I would also have a jerk rig for the movement.

Hub

wiley_coyote

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't have to spend a lot of cash for a decent call. I do my hails with a Yentzen double reed and my feed with an Olt #66 single reed. For me a single reed is easier for feed calls and the old Yentzen (which I think they still make both) makes for some great high balling. Both are wood calls and 31 yrs old. Matter of fact my pintail whistle and goose calls are also wood and about 27 yrs old and I've never done anything to any of them to keep them in shape. They'll still call em in if you're any good at calling and if you're not there are some good instructional tapes, dvds, etc. out there. I know some might think it not too safe but I did my practicing while driving down the highway by myself. There are a lot of good calls on the market but IMHO you don't have to spend $100.00+ on a duck & goose call and they don't have to be an acrylic. You can best impress with you're calling not the price of the call itself. Whatever you settle with by all means have fun with them and practice, practice, practice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom