Ducks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad had ducks. They are nasty-messy ... Lot worse than chickens. Bleech ... IIRC they were a bit finickier than his other birds (chickens, dove, quail, pheasant, peacocks, parrots, parakeets, love birds, cockatiels) ... yeah, he was a "bird guy" ...

There is one breed (I can't recall which, bet you could google it) that doesn't need a water source to thrive and I've read of folks keeping them in backyards.

Now you know everything I know about ducks ... :)

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lived on the edge of town for about a year. The little development we lived in had several large ponds/ small lakes. Some gourdhead turned so baby duckling loose. They managed to survive and multiply. Duck crap everywhere. One constant duck orgy all summer long. No thanks. Plus they will pester the heck out of you in your backyard looking for handouts.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny thing was there was a population explosion in late spring and by the fall they were back at the original population.
I'm thinking that might of coincided with a coyote population change.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like ducks, I had ducks and geese when I was a kid. They are funny. Geese are great watch dogs. Mine were kind of free range but stayed in their pens mostly. They didn't like to wander off much.
I don't remember poo being everywhere then again I was a kid so I prob just didn't care LOL
Now I just love to eat ducks. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom