Durango & Silverton Train ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodahdude

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've gone. It's fun. Have to look at it as... #1. Think of those who came and made a fortune. #2. Modern times people still commute. At the rest area we collected small chunks of coal and used them the following Christmas as gag gifts. Found some old spikes, painted them gold and gave them as gifts too.

Get off the train and spend the day at Silverton. Go shopping, walk around, see how the locals live, get something to eat later. Wait for the train back. It's fun.:hey3:

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Durango is a great summer destination. Mesa Verde, 4 corners, Ouray, Silverton, Durango, etc, etc,. All within an hour or two's drive.

We went on our honeymoon in February. Silverton is buried in snow that time of year but we managed to find one little art gallery that was open (with piles and piles of snow around). Was pretty neat to be skiing one day then walking through Mesa Verde the next, then driving to the hot springs in Ouray the next.

Subsonic

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ridgway is just right up the road from Ooray and that is where they filmed most of John Wayne's "True Grit." Very nice area. Still has some of the props around the town too.

IronMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My oldest daughter was born in Durango. I lived there for two years. Rode the train twice. The first time was up and back the same day. Second time went up to Sliverton,stayed the night and came back the net day. It was great both times. That was 35yrs ago.:yikes2::thumbup3:

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is really neat but a word of advice, it is long. Maybe if someone that has done it before wants to meet you in Silverton or maybe go to Ouray one day and drop a car off at Silverton to drive back to Durango after you get to Silverton. We took the train both ways and it was neat and all but the ride back is the same thing you just saw and I was just ready to get back to do something else.

This.
I would recommend a one way trip. :thumbup3:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dan B,

A lot depends on whether you are a serious photographer or not. My wife and I finally went in August of 2009 and rode the Durango/Silverton both up and back. We wanted to do round trip because the light will be different on the return trip for photography than what it was going up.

On the consist of cars that we were on, there were two different classes of open gondola cars. Both have roofs, but are open on the sides. Either will subject you to flying cinders, but you'll have a lot better area for taking pictures.

The Rio Grande is the one we went on. It has a series of seats with breaks between every two passengers, while the "Cattle Car" only has a break in the seats at each end and one place in the center to the center aisle. So, if you want to go to the refreshment car or the bathroom, it can make a difference as to how many people you have to disturb.

The Rio Grande is more expensive than the "Cattle Car", but it was also less populated when we rode it in late August. (I refer to the other car as the "Cattle Car" because it looked like it was packed like a cattle car.)

Here is a link so you can see the seating in both the Rio Grande and the Cattle Car:

http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/z458/TerryandJo/Miscellaneous Images/

All in all, I recommend the ride, whether you go both ways or not. On the trip up, I took over 700 photos and another 430+ photos coming back down. Also, I should mention that with the late August trip, we had not booked in advance. I didn't want to book a certain day and then that day be crappy weather-wise for photographs. They couldn't get both of us seats on the Cattle Car together, so we paid extra to get the Rio Grande. Glad we did.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I rode the cumbres and toltec back in october and it was amazing. I stopped in durango on the drive to colorado springs but i didnt have alot of time to stop there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom