Dyson or Kirby?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've had a Dyson for a few years now. It works great, it vacuums our carpet, and we paid almost half due to a sale. Can't say it's inferior or superior to other vacuums, but for the price we paid ($200), it works great. It replaced a Hoover that stopped working, so it's hard to compare.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We like our Dyson Animal/Purple but it is very persnickety on how well the beater motor in the head gets the job done. It's been to the shop once for work on the head. Right now the wife likes it but it might be on borrowed time until she gets fed up with it again.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago, my brother worked a job where they used Dysons; when we were looking at buying my mother a new vacuum cleaner, he said it could be anything but a Dyson. (He didn't elaborate, and I didn't particularly care, so I didn't press for details.) He later sold Kirbys for a few weeks (he doesn't like sales jobs in the first place, and high-pressure sales is worse than pumping septic tanks in August, IMHO), and he learned enough about them that he bought one used. He's had it for about a decade now, and it still runs like a top.

I don't know know how well they run or how durable they are, but my personal opinion is that the Dysons, particularly given the premium prices they charge, look incredibly cheap--I've seen better-looking plastic in cheap Chinese kid's toys. I do know that our custodians at work had some Dyson uprights for a little while, then went back to "industrial" vacuum cleaners. If I remember, I'll ask them about it.

FWIW, my vacuum is an old Oreck I got from my parents. Aside from its tendency to eat drive belts every now and then, it does well enough for me...

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never tried a Kirby, but like Poke78, I have a Dyson Animal due to having five dogs in the house. I was amazed the first time I tried the Dyson - first I vacuumed the living room using the old bagged vacuum cleaner, then I ran over the same carpet with the Dyson. I couldn't believe how much more dirt and hair it picked up that the old VC left behind.

I've only had it about a half year though, so I can't vouch for the Dyson's longevity other than to say it's still working just fine with 2X weekly usage. My sister has a similar Dyson that she's used for over a year, again with no issues.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never tried a Kirby, but like Poke78, I have a Dyson Animal due to having five dogs in the house. I was amazed the first time I tried the Dyson - first I vacuumed the living room using the old bagged vacuum cleaner, then I ran over the same carpet with the Dyson. I couldn't believe how much more dirt and hair it picked up that the old VC left behind.

I've only had it about a half year though, so I can't vouch for the Dyson's longevity other than to say it's still working just fine with 2X weekly usage. My sister has a similar Dyson that she's used for over a year, again with no issues.

Yeah, just because we own a Dyson and it's performed well for us, we're not necessarily Dyson fanatics. Our old vacuum wouldn't suck up dirt if you turned it upside down and poured the dirt in, so obviously this thing performs much better than our old Hoover. So far, we're happy. It's been great 2-3x a week and it's super easy to clean.

The only thing I hate is that my wife and daughter shed like crazy, so I'm always having to take scissors to the brush because it ends up looking like a giant hair curler, but that's going to happen with any vac.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kirby vacuums are probably still superior (they definitely used to be), but the company is just below Al Qaeda in their business practices (don't ever sign anything to finance a kirby).

I tried selling Kirbys when I was just out of high-school for a time and couldn't stomach how badly they were screwing folks over.

Latest posts

Top Bottom