Earthquakes in Edmond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In some areas they are going to have to stop injecting into the arbuckle formation, because it is right on top of the granite basement layer, and inject into a formation higher up.
Those formations don't accept water as readily however so injection rates will have to be reduced and profits will suffer sadly.:(

The Crystaline basement? I think granite is pretty impermeable.
What determines which areas?
Are you taking injecting or disposing?
Are they disposing in the Arbuckle in wells around Edmond?
And actually there are shallower formations that won't support a column of fresh water. The Brown Dolomite comes to mind. But that one pinches out someplace, but so does the Arbuckle.
In western Ok and the Texas panhandle the Arbuckle is over 20,000' deep and known for sour gas production. Around Cox City it's about 15,000' and sour.
If the OCC is an oil company puppet, who will determine what areas?
I think we need a better plan.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okie he's an internet geological expert, you can't win no matter which route you take. You'd think he'd know that they stopped and slowed injections into the Arbuckle some time back and the earthquakes have done nothing but increase.

In March, the Corporation Commission directed wastewater disposal operators in some Arbuckle wells to prove they were not injecting into the basement. Letters went out to operators of 347 disposal wells inside the commission’s “areas of interest” from recent earthquake activity.

Since then, the commission said more than 50 disposal wells found to touch the basement have plugged back their depths to the Arbuckle. Another 150 disposal wells have cut their volumes in half, while other wells are keeping their volumes below 1,000 barrels per day.

Source

Note that I'm all for reasonable regulation too, but they need to prove something before we just go off doing feel-good measures and killing the economy in the process. The project I was working on last week was just shut down like the click of a light switch. It was two quite large areas in different ends of the state, by a company that knew the economics before they even started it. I'm wondering if there is a moratorium in the works and they caught wind of it? Whatever caused them to cut it, it took many many millions out of the pockets of landowners for the next 3 years at least.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okie he's an internet geological expert, you can't win no matter which route you take. You'd think he'd know that they stopped and slowed injections into the Arbuckle some time back and the earthquakes have done nothing but increase.

Note that I'm all for reasonable regulation too, but they need to prove something before we just go off doing feel-good measures and killing the economy in the process. The project I was working on last week was just shut down like the click of a light switch. It was two quite large areas in different ends of the state, by a company that knew the economics before they even started it. I'm wondering if there is a moratorium in the works and they caught wind of it? Whatever caused them to cut it, it took many many millions out of the pockets of landowners for the next 3 years at least.

Oil owns this CC and legislature.
NO moratorium is coming, count on it.

What might have happened is the client calculations of potential liability in the event of a large quake caused them to reconsider.
That and the GS prediction of $20 oil later this year.

Ooopsie, look at that.
Earthquakes In Edmond floated to the top of the discussion list. :)

See ya tomorrow.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hobbes there are tons of analysts out there saying that oil will double this year. And I seriously doubt that this company had any intention of drilling a damn thing this year. You see, the average oil and gas lease runs for 3 years. I don't even think you'll say that oil is going to $20 and staying there for that long. So their timing was basically perfect. Get your leasehold in place while the industry is crap, and when it turns all you have to do is stand rigs up and roll in that money or sell them to someone who wants to. Either way it's money in the bank.

Latest posts

Top Bottom