EDC spare magazines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm making a leather wallet holster for my LCP (just have pattern cut out as of now) I intend to install a pouch for a spare mag.. Looks like it will fit a mag just under the grip, this will be carried with gun toward body front or back pocket..

I'll post pics when I'm done...

Awesome, look forward to seeing the pics.

I've been carrying a spare mag in my weak hand front pocket. Being the time of year that is it right now, and my school/unemployed situation, I mainly wear shorts everyday, so with the roomy pockets it's no biggie to carry it there.

After school when I'm working again, I'm assuming I'll be wearing at minimum business casual and will have to work things out again.

Thanks for all the input thus far to everyone.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that's pretty cool. Do you have one?

Yes for my Kahr CW9. Keeps the mag from turning sideways in your pocket and speeds up the reload a good bit. Always know where your mag is orientated so you can grab it by feel. I would recommend it. Almost thought about getting one to go with my G19 but a little worried it would be too bulky. It is perfect with a single stack mag.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably order one for my Shield 9 in the morning after I do a bit of research. Think I'd use the weak side back pocket if I could keep it clipped on the edge.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always carry a spare when I'm carrying the CM9. 7 rounds go pretty fast, and there is the reliability issue as well. I carry the spare in my back pocket... yes, I always orient it the same way. With a small single-stack mag like the Kahr's, it isn't uncomfortable to sit on or anything, but if you try to carry 2 that way, or carry a thicker, larger mag like for my M&P40, it is uncomfortable. I have a nylon OWB mag holder for the M&P. I have also used a HSGI pistol taco. Both of those are bulkier than I'd like though, and don't conceal very well... I usually skip them and don't carry a spare with the M&P. I am wanting to get an IWB mag holder that will conceal better and can be quickly clipped onto the belt without having to take it off. This will make me more likely to carry my spare.

jmtgsx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an Alessi leather flashlight/mag holder on weak side. Set up like a dual mag holder, but back "slot" is set up for Surefire/Streamlight.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When carrying concealed I never carry a spare mag, ever. I see no need. I'm comfortable with the function and reliability of my mag and pistol. If my mag only holds 7 rounds then that's all it holds. That means that's all I have to work with. We could play the "what if" game to infinity and beyond. I'd suggest that if you carry a 1911 as your primary weapon then not only should you carry a spare mag I'd suggest you carry a more reliable backup weapon as well.

I've figured the odds and based it offa my real world experience and if I need more then 6 rounds to extricate myself in a self defense shooting then I'm in deep kimchee. The whole purpose of carrying a concealed weapon as a civilian isn't so that you can engage in gunfight/firefight. It's a tool that you use to simply allow you to escape and exit the area. If you think otherwise you've been watching too many movies.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the sheath I just made from some scrap pieces of leather, started out as 8-10oz leather but I planed it down some and even more so on the flap that covers gun that part is half as thick as it was... weight is minimal (measured in ounces)

20140831_174156.jpg

here is where the mag will go once I install a pouch, just haven't decided whether to use a small piece of kydex or like a vinyl material, only a little pouch will be needed to cover exposed bullet and about 3/4" up to hold mag in place.

Weight with 6+1 Lehigh Xtreme in gun and Corbon +p hp for extra mag (lightest bullet I have atm)
20140831_173959.jpg

A big heavy weight all by itself loaded hot with the Lehigh
20140831_173910.jpg

I've recently bought a 3 pack of wolff springs, 11,12,13# respectively... I've run the 13# spring and liked it, the gun now has the 12# and have yet to shoot it.. Also installed the Hogue Handall grip and while it makes the LCP a great shooter it adds in width, I removed it and installed an inner tube..(width is negligible) have yet to shoot it the way it sits and plan to hit the range tomorrow...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom