Why I "think" I don't need a Glock 43x for EDC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-pitch

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been contemplating it since they came out, and almost got one last week but drug my feet and the last one I knew of in the metro area sold the night before I finally went to look at it (again LOL).

After watching lots of reviews and reading comments, combined with my own rationale, I think I might have put it to bed finally.

First let me say that in order of importance, here are the things that I look at for an EDC gun:

1.) comfort to carry
2.) capacity
3.) shootability (including effective range & accuracy)
4.) stopping power

I wanted to share some points as to why I don't think I need one (no particular order), and see what others say.

- I already own other options that give me carry flexibility (hence why spend more money)
- I am such a stickler for comfort so I switched to .380 for 90% of carry situations
- The 43x handle length doesn't work for me in most carry situations (I don't wear a lot of coats and sweatshirts)
- The 43x capacity is pointless unless I spend the extra money to upgrade to the Shield Arms mags and mag release (vs having other guns that do 10+1 that are smaller)
- If the 43x has the Shield mags, some people complain it is top heavy when carrying appendix (the barrel isn't nested far enough to offset the heavier handle so there can be movement or comfort issues)
- The OEM mags are not part of my regular glock "system" (e.g. 17 mag can fit in 26, etc.)

If I didn't own any other guns except for the .380, then I would consider buying a 48 for the other 10% carry situations. I also thought about getting a plus base-plate for the regular 43, but then you are extending the handle length which defeats the purpose of what's important to me.

I think in my situation, for the 10% where I don't choose .380, I could choose the 19 or the 26 with a spare 19mag on hand. I think a 26 is timeless for EDC gun, and especially if you carry a larger mag as a spare.

What says the community on my thoughts and the 43x??? This isn't a debate either, if you have a 43x, I am glad to hear why you choose it and especially if you also own other 9mm glocks. I think the 43x is a fine gun and fine choice for those who find the rght niche for it in their carry lineup.

This thread is really just to affirm my rationale and finalize my decision so I stop driving my wife crazy discussing it.
The sooner you get the 43 the sooner you can trade it for a hellcat

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The sooner you get the 43 the sooner you can trade it for a hellcat
LOL...so many choices like women with shoes or purses.

I think the imprint of a longer handle with my typical attire and the concerns I've always had with aftermarket stuff has done me in. I think I'm going to learn to love the 26 for situations when I don't carry a .380

I've always considered the glock (classic models) the "AK" of pistols, or better yet, the Chevy pickup of pistols. One guy specifically said the 26 is the Jeep Wrangler of pistols. I thought that was a great description.

CCW market reminds me of cell phones, they go back & fourth between screen sizes, etc.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Considering I don't seem to sell guns well, I try to overthink it as much as I can before I spend the money on one. For those who don't mind "trying & buying" which seems very common among CCW folks, then I can see wasting less time on a decision for those type of people . But also, that's why I'm on this forum...to discuss in detail firearms and related topics (among other things). I always assume there are things I don't know and, sometimes when you do deep analysis, you get a decision you feel more comfortable with (especially if the money IS an issue and the decsion tends to be more permanent).

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Considering I don't seem to sell guns well, I try to overthink it as much as I can before I spend the money on one. For those who don't mind "trying & buying" which seems very common among CCW folks, then I can see wasting less time on a decision for those type of people . But also, that's why I'm on this forum...to discuss in detail firearms and related topics (among other things). I always assume there are things I don't know and, sometimes when you do deep analysis, you get a decision you feel more comfortable with (especially if the money IS an issue and the decsion tends to be more permanent).

As everybody here knows, I probably "try and buy" more than anyone, but I've kinda settled in on my Glock 45 and 43X. The 43X is a dandy little pistola. Most guys scoff at it's 10 round capacity, but my God...how many rounds does the average, everyday Joe need?

As a cop, I do carry my G45 on the clock for it's extra capacity, but off duty, I'm all about the G43X and it's OEM 10 round mags. I've heard too many bad things about the Shield Arms S15 mags. No thank you!

But yeah, the little 43X is an awesome little EDC pistol. And with 10 rounds, it'll do it's part, if'n you do yours. Besides, if it doesn't suit your needs, you can always get your money back right here or at the next gun show. Them thangs sell like hotcakes! :thumb:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As everybody here knows, I probably "try and buy" more than anyone, but I've kinda settled in on my Glock 45 and 43X. The 43X is a dandy little pistola. Most guys scoff at it's 10 round capacity, but my God...how many rounds does the average, everyday Joe need?

As a cop, I do carry my G45 on the clock for it's extra capacity, but off duty, I'm all about the G43X and it's OEM 10 round mags. I've heard too many bad things about the Shield Arms S15 mags. No thank you!

But yeah, the little 43X is an awesome little EDC pistol. And with 10 rounds, it'll do it's part, if'n you do yours. Besides, if it doesn't suit your needs, you can always get your money back right here or at the next gun show. Them thangs sell like hotcakes! :thumb:
You are probably correct to use the 10rd factory mags. Once I remove the Shield mags as a decision point, for me, the handle length became the biggest issue (even over width). Even before the 43x was released, I got a 43 because I liked the shorter handle for carry. I was searching for a reason I needed the 43x, but the only two initial reasons for me were the Shield mags and just getting to collect another option to choose from.

Having a 19 or 17 mag as a backup for the 26 is very convenient. If I never owned a 26, then it is entirely possible I would have gotten the 43x first and then later contemplated the 26 (especially if I had any issues with the Shield mags as some have reported)...It's just how my mind works I guess. There are a LOT of people in my research that seem to own both guns. Also, of those who own a 43x (regardless of other guns owned) seems like 90% say the main reason for the choosing 43x was the Shield mags.

Finally, of those who did not want to use the Shield mags, a lot of those comments favored the regular 43 with some option of a longer mag for when they choose to use it. You easily can make a 43 or 26 handle longer, but you can't make a 43x shorter.

Last edited:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are probably correct to use the 10rd factory mags. Once I remove the Shield mags as a decision point, for me, the handle length became the biggest issue (even over width). Even before the 43x was released, I got a 43 because I liked the shorter handle for carry. I was searching for a reason I needed the 43x, but the only two initial reasons for me were the Shield mags and just getting to collect another option to choose from.

Having a 19 or 17 mag as a backup for the 26 is very convenient. If I never owned a 26, then it is entirely possible I would have gotten the 43x first and then later contemplated the 26 (especially if I had any issues with the Shield mags as some have reported)...It's just how my mind works I guess. There are a LOT of people in my research that seem to own both guns. Also, of those who own a 43x (regardless of other guns owned) seems like 90% say the main reason for the choosing 43x was the Shield mags.

Finally, of those who did not want to use the Shield mags, a lot of those comments favored the regular 43 with some option of a longer mag for when they choose to use it. You easily can make a 43 or 26 handle longer, but you can't make a 43x shorter.

I used to have a love/hate relationship with the G26. That damned hump just did not fit my hand at all. But, because of what you mentioned about the magazine interchangeablity, I suffered through the pain.

But when the 43, was released (after MUCH fanfare and build up) I thought it was the perfect off duty pistol. I still like the 43, but it has that stupid hump as well. It's a little more subtle and not quite as noticeable, but it's there nevertheless.

But...when the 43X was introduced and I finally got to hold and fire one, I "divorced" the G26 and never looked back. The 43X may be my very favorite Glock ever.

Latest posts

Top Bottom