Effing skunk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are commercial products designed to neutralize the scent. Has anyone on here tried any of them?

When the skunk got our dog and the wife let it in the house we tried the tomato juice trick and it didn't work worth a hoot, hydrogen peroxide baking soda and a touch of dish soap fixed the dog but we still had a problem in the house. I slept in the shop for two nights because I couldn't stand to go in the house

Went to Attwoods and bought everything they had that said Skunk on the label. One of them had instructions to mix with water, spray then vacuum when dry.. I used a pump up garden sprayer and sprayed almost the whole house, carpet, curtains furniture everything that I thought needed it. Wished I could remember the name of that stuff because it worked great. The next day all sent of skunk was gone.

Every since I've been waging my own little personal war against skunks. What works is sugar donuts in a live trap. The cats leave them alone but skunks love them. I shoot them in the trap and don't let anyone tell you a head shot will keep them from spraying.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess that shows my age... "wood pussie" and skunk were interchangeble in Tennessee when I was a kid

Worked with linemen from all over the USA who knew that nickname for Pepe LaPew

N2Guns

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Had a nice evening and dinner out with the wife everything was going so well that I thought I might even get lucky tonight (we have 2 month old so it happens like never). So we get home and she is feeding baby and I let the dogs out so I can go get ready for bed early and before I take 3 steps I here one of the dogs going crazy. I open the door and she comes running in spitting coughing foaming at the mouth and then the stench. Oh my god. Now this dog is runing around the house going crazy I can't catch her. The wife comes out screaming with a baby on her tit and did I mention the smell?? Well after a frantic google search I have tried 5 different home remedies and. Either my smelled is broke or she is tolerable. My wife has spread baking soda and bowls of vinegar all around the house and whenever we walk out of the bedroom it still about knocks us down. Well that was my night and I am too tired to make since now anyway.

Jb
If yoyr pwt gets sprayed, use scope mouth wash. Douse it in scope, let it dry a few days, then bathe rhe dog. Minty fresh, tried and true!

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yup been there, except I was in the garage at the same time the skunk showed up & the dog went after it. He got a face full & the skunk got the
sp101 after he left the garage. stunk for about a month

dochawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The remedy that seemed to work was vinegar,baking soda, and dish soap. The groomer said that she was impressed with how well it managed to keep the odor under control.

It was kind of funny that when we got home tonight the poor girl didn't want to go into the back yard.

ldmtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good way to get the smell off of animals is a tomato juice bath. No i'm not joking. it works, had my family dog when i was in HS get sprayed 3 times (little chihuahua just isn't scared of anything) and usually a couple of tomato juice baths and the smell is almost gone.

+1 -- this really works

Latest posts

Top Bottom