Electrical Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Changing out lightbulbs in bathroom fixtures. Replacing incandescent bulbs with LED. No issues until I got to the third bathroom. Over the mirror is a three bulb fixture, working perfectly with the incandescent bulbs. First two work fine, but the third will not light. I tried different new LED bulbs to no avail but putting any incandescent bulb in works fine. Is there some Incad. Vs LED principal that I’m violating?

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tried that, same result only a different socket would not light. Any combination of 2 LED and 1 incad. Will work. It’s a bit like the old ball under the cups trick.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting - I wondered that. Could someone have wired the lights in series or some bizarre thing as to make the lights dimmer than normal? If you take one light out, will the other two go out too?

If you measure the voltage with a multimeter (carefully, measuring mains is something to be mindful of while doing it!), what does it show?

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, I tried combinations of just two in different sockets, and just one, with no issues. It’s only when I try the third LED, in any socket. One of the other bathrooms has the same fixture, and I had no problem there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom