Electronic hearing protection/amplification,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok guys my wife says I am deaf. I have worked in a steel shop all my life and like a true DA did not protect my hearing when I was younger. I am by no stretch deaf but I do listen to the tv and radio loudly becasue I have trouble with light sounds or when there is any background noise. I started looking at in ear protection for hunting also. Is there anything out there for less than $1k that does a decent job and wont make me look all crazy? I would like something that helps me hear better but also blocks noises over 90 or so DB,

I like the custom earplugs I have seen that has circuitry in them to help out. Anyone here use anything like that?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok guys my wife says I am deaf. I have worked in a steel shop all my life and like a true DA did not protect my hearing when I was younger. I am by no stretch deaf but I do listen to the tv and radio loudly becasue I have trouble with light sounds or when there is any background noise. I started looking at in ear protection for hunting also. Is there anything out there for less than $1k that does a decent job and wont make me look all crazy? I would like something that helps me hear better but also blocks noises over 90 or so DB,

I like the custom earplugs I have seen that has circuitry in them to help out. Anyone here use anything like that?

Well, let me tell you, and everybody else that thinks they are a badbutt, and don't need those ear plug things sticking out of my ears.

Your hearing is one of the things one needs to protect. I know folks with hearing aids in their 30's and 40's.

Actually, let me clarify this. They qualify for hearing aids after working in high noise enviroments, but choose vanity, and possible embarassment, thinking people may think less of them because they wear hearing aids.

Let me assure you. People will think better of you when you are not saying "huh" after every thing they say.

Hearing aids are not the total answer. Hearing loss is caused by nerve damage to the inner ear. It is not correctible by surgery.

Implants and hearing aids are the only current answer.

Here comes the big warning!! There are lots of shysters out there that sell hearing aids. You cannot buy them off the net. Its a closed dealer only.

You see these full page ads in the paper, and their facilities are either in a trailer, or in a mall. Guess what? Who pays for these ads? Suckers.

One can search around and find the same aids for a few hundred bucks cheaper, but the level of service going with a reputable MEDICAL hearing service will result in a whole lot more satisfaction than a person with a fly by night hearing tester, and a briefcase of hearing aids.

Current hearing testing, tests your hearing at different levels of volume and frequency.

If you get aids, the technician or Doctor will adjust the frequency, and volume to compensate for the loss.

Additional features in aids, is that they can program the 3 or 4 channel models to be better in office, restaurants, etc to block out the background noise that will not be blocked by cheap aids.

No hearing aids can make your hearing like it was in your teens. Its just an aid.

Last comment:
Protect your hearing. Your family and co-workers will appreciate it.
Not hearing the deer coming up behind you, your kids saying something, a co-worker yelling at you before walking into a dangerous situation, etc, WILL make a difference to you.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The external muffs are by far the cheapest way to get noise protection and quality amplification, even if it is a bit obvious when you wear them.
Brownells has a heck of a deal; now they are selling Pro Ears under the Brownells brand at about half the Pro Ears price, plus Brownells lifetime warranty. $139

I have the "in the ear" quality hearing aid for my left ear--Phonak HS programmable--but they are around $2000 EACH.
I remove it and put on the muffs when at the range or running a chainsaw, etc.

Mechanicalmehem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know personally about what is best, however some protection is absoluetly better than none! I personally get a lot of BS from my coworkers due to the fact that I wear hearing protection at work. (they are always indicating I am a ground crew for a plane) There are always loud impacts going on, air ratchets(high pitched squeal they do drives me nuts), air hammers, etc. I can already tell that after only a few years not wearing protection that I have a slightly deminished hearing capacity as well as a very light ringing(luckily its not worse) that I primarily notice when I have managed to calm down/wind down for the evening. Protect your hearing, Hell to be honest with you as far as ones I would recomend, I'd go with the browning ones I get from academy, like $20 have a NRR of 32(highest I have personally seem) they are the slimmer ones etc. I know not exactly what you are looking for, but for the time being better than nothing, I'd prefer ear plugs but I guess I get sweat in my ears and they start itching and drive me nuts personally. I dunno.
--Mech

Latest posts

Top Bottom