Working around Tinnitus at 75yo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmc tom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful with waiting. My wisdom tooth also came in at an angle. I was leaving for a 9 month deployment the following week, so I put it off. 10yrs later it had to come out. It grew into the jaw bone. 2hrs of crushing, grinding and I think an air chisel was involved. Meals thru a straw for a long time.
In 72, I joined the Seabees, hearing protection was for sissies, not to mention, when shtf didn't give it any thought. Use to the ringing now, only terrible when in a quiet zone.
Good luck.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful with waiting. My wisdom tooth also came in at an angle. I was leaving for a 9 month deployment the following week, so I put it off. 10yrs later it had to come out. It grew into the jaw bone. 2hrs of crushing, grinding and I think an air chisel was involved. Meals thru a straw for a long time.
In 72, I joined the Seabees, hearing protection was for sissies, not to mention, when shtf didn't give it any thought. Use to the ringing now, only terrible when in a quiet zone.
Good luck.

Went to ENT when the tinnitus started, I thought I had ear infection. Dr thought I had ear infection and treaded as such.

No change. Dr finally decided I needed to see Dentist. Dentist took x-rays and said tooth had grown into jaw bone. He wouldn't touch it. Sent to oral surgeon. Diagnosis; surgery, hospital stay, broke jaw, chisel out tooth, complications from growing into jaw bone.
Reality; no pain present, no problems, other than a bit of tinnitus. I can live with it, as is.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the one I decided on after reading reviews. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5Z25Q5H?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Thanks for the replies, I hope this might help anyone out here. Yes this device took a little to get used to, but it is going to be worth while to me. I do not know how more expensive ones could be any better. It seems that even if you have problems in one ear it would work well. People who have no hearing problems use them so they can listen to music and still hear outside noises since it does not hinder that in any way, or you can use in the ear hearing protectors and still listen to what you want to hear if you do want to block out existing noises.
Still researching. Good luck to you.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I might add that the above product that I purchased comes with the instructions to link it to your phone by selecting the X14 device and it immediately links. My rechargble blue tooth transmitter I use to plug into other devices does not have push buttons to select X14. I had to lay these earphones about one foot from my transmitter and it took several minutes for them to connect the first time but much quicker after that. It seems it eventually goes into a search and auto connect mode after a period of time. I did have to turn off my blue tooth function on my phone so that it would not connect to it during that paring connection.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 2 pair. Older pair of Aftershox amd a brand new pair of Open Runs.

Amazing device. I mow with ham on listening to music, with earplugs in and the clarity of sound is amazing. I’m not hearing it thru my ear canal, as that is plugged. It’s thru the bone vibration. Lyrics have never been clearer and volume can remain low. They truly are amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/SHOKZ/page/17D3E7AF-9B97-4D06-A691-03EC48E5DF5F?ref_=ast_bln

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when I was in the Army and listening to stereo music, I would wear headphones that weren't directly over my ears. With the Army headphones, they rested just forward of the ears, but I could still hear everything. Of course that application of headphones was taking Morse code.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
- I've had Tinnitus for as long as I remember [it seems] and apparently my 'T' came from spending several years in different Field Artillery units (my MOS was 13B-Cannon Crewman) with a tour in Vietnam and 3-tours in [what was then] West Germany.
- I've pretty much have gotten to the point that I can mostly just ignore the 'T', though there are times it does get loud enough to become almost painful.
- When the VA first tried to give me hearing-aids they were little more than just amplifiers, but a lot of improvements have happened over the past 35-years so I am toying with the idea now of seeing what options the VA now has available.

Latest posts

Top Bottom