Re hearing protection.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have some old Walker rechargeable electronic ear plugs. NRR is rated at 31dB. Let's say, I go varmint hunting with my .223 with 18" barrel. According to my research, the gun/load produces 155.5dB. That means that 124.5dB of noise reaches my ears.

Whether or not I actually fire the gun when I go hunting varies. Usually, I don't. If I do, it's just going to be one or two shots.

Assuming one actually installs the plugs correctly (unlike what we might see in the movies where they have plugs installed diagonally), the above set up (gun that produces 155.5dB and plugs that reduce noise to ears by 31dB) should be safe?

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep in mind that 140 dB of “impact noise” is what OSHA considers “dangerous”. Is that number viable? That data is an older data set.

Also, sound (dB) is measured on two scales: A and C scale. The rifle is measured in one, the earplugs in another. So, to correct that, you deduct 7 for “weighting”. So, really, a 31 is allowed to be calculated at 24 dB. Now, that number is achieved in a lab setting with professionals installing the plugs according to ANSI S3.19. Can you put the plugs in every time like a pro? How do you know if you have a good fit? Do the plugs work with your ear canals?

The ear muffs are much more consistent, providing you don’t break the seal with glasses, hat or other devices. You should consider a new pair of muffs since you only get one set of ears which tend to degrade with age and potential illnesses and exposure. Do you like a constant ringing that won’t go away? Because that’s tinnitus. No cure, no solution. Once it’s there, barring scientists coming up with a viable solution, it’s there to stay.

Hope this helps, please reach out with any questions.

Last edited:

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a set of custom fitted earplugs that are molded to my ears and I like them very much. Seems like they cost around $125 (a gift from my daughter).
1672157123498.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom