Electronic Powder Scale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a box made to enclose the scale to keep any outside disturbances out? I have the RCBS 750 which is an excellent scale but the slightest draft (including breath) will cause it to drift. I noticed the RCBS 1500 Chargmaster with dispenser has a little clear lid that will cover the bowl.
I'm sure I could rig something together, but I am banished to the garage without so much as a fan. Pretty much keeps my reloading to the early AM with the heat.

Donald

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are adjusting a powder measure to throw a specific weight, the digital is a good way to go. I have a couple of beam balances also. The only problem with the beam is that they need calibration also. Another thing is that if you mistreat it and get the bearing blades dulled they will not read correctly. One with agate bearings and hardened knife edged blades is the best kind. Take a look at your knife edges with a loupe and see if they are dulled on the edge. If so carefully sharpen them.

Donald

9rox

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I can say is that my may RCBS Chargemaster is my favorite tool when reloading match rifle ammo! Zero, tare, enter charge weight and start loading. By the time I get a bullet seated, the scale beeps to tell me another charge is ready.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

My two favorites scales:

Electronic - RCBS 750. It is small, battery powered, fast, and repeatable.

Beam - Redding #2. I've seen and tried a lot of scales, but this little wonder is my favorite by far for a manual beam.

My take is that while a beam will do, the electronic can be more accurate depending on the quality of the beam (how it was manufactured). Electronic is ideal for lots of quick measurements that would take a long time on a beam. I always post weigh every round I load and the electronic is awesome for this. I also dump successive charges in it from my powder measure. For example, if I want 5.1, I dump 5 charges and expect it to read 5.1, 10.2, 15.3, 20.4, and finally 25.5. If this happens I am confident I have my powder measure set accurately. I like beam scales, but I love my RCBS 750.

Good luck,

Alan

djcorrell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i bought a economical scale that does grains, 110 and battery power, the only thing is that to set up a load i throw 10 times and check. it keeps it accurate for an inexpensive scale... anyone interested i can get the info.. it is not a "trade" scale like we use everyday but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper.

Jim Thompson

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an RCBS electronic scale. It's served me well for several years now. I also have an RCBS 1010. I use it occasionally to check the accuracy of the electronic scale. Shop around. The electronic scales have dropped in price. Check out Brian Enos's web site. He has a very good one that he highly recommends for a cheaper price.

Latest posts

Top Bottom