Elk in random locations in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone seen, or heard of Elk being somewhere they should not be? I talked to a buddy yesterday who said he saw a small bull Elk on his land in Norman. This guy isn't a story teller, so I have no doubt believing him. I just don't understand how/why an Elk would be this far up. If it was near Elgin or somewhere closer to Lawton it would make more sense.

Anyone ever seen or heard of an Elk around Norman or any other odd city?

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah. South or Norman, northeast of Cole there is a guy that has quite a few elk. If you go west from I-35 on Hwy 9 towards Newcastle/Blanchard 8 (ish) miles or so, then head south towards Cole on a dirt road. Forgot exactly who it is that owns them, but he has a big house up on the hill and surrounded by high fence. Has some beautiful bulls in there at times. Don't know if that as anywhere near where your buddy lives, but there are some around. They are scattered across the state by private landowners. I know there are some privately owned here around Antlers, and some over by Little City at Texoma.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Small herd at Ponca that is privatly owned, as well as a herd at the Woolaroc museum in Osage county.

Interestingly enough, a wild elk was found and shot illegally in Osage county. There were no reports of any private herds missing any animals, in the vicinity, so nobody really knows how it got there. Some redneck shot it from a pickup window, and then took pics and bragged about it to his buddies. Word got out, and the ODW investigated it. He was found guilty and as part of his fine, had to pay restitution to the state. I don't know what a mature bull elk costs to buy, but he had to pay the money.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is supposed to be a pretty good herd of them out in the panhandle on some crop land out there and there was a bear sow that raised a cub in a circle irrigation field of standing corn this summer.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a cow and a calf running around our lease a few years ago. It borders a high fence ranch on one side and turned out they had a hole in the fence. Ranch manager came out and darted them and hauled them back.

FAL guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few years ago a young man and his father received a bit of jail time, some hefty fines and loss of hunting licenses for shooting an elk just NW of ALva. Stupidly, they put the remains of the carcus after butching in a local dumpster.

Latest posts

Top Bottom