Employers can forbid guns, a judge rules, issues an injunction against OK law.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if you have done nothing illegal, but have a handgun concealed in the vehicle but no other signs of a gun in there how could an employer find out about the gun?

It's not illegal and you aren't on a traffic stop or having official contact with police so as far as the police go, it doesn't matter.

As far as the employer goes, that's a policy matter and not a legal matter.

Michael Brown

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So an employer merely knowing that you have a CCW but no other reason is not enough to request a search of a vehicle?

Not by the police.

The police also shouldn't just respond to a request to search by a private entity. A public school i.e. non-intrusive K-9 locker sniffing is generally performed but not at the request of a private company.

If an agency is doing that, they're making a grievous error and putting themselves right in the middle of the liability chain.

Now if you're talking about a company policy that is a civil and not criminal matter and an entirely different issue that I'm not educated enough to offer an opinion about.

Michael Brown

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This may be what your asking...or maybe not...but..

I work for one Oklahoma's largest employers I'm not saying which but it is an "American" employer..LOL

Their policy is obviously no firearms on property and employees caught with firearms on property will be fired.

Now legally they cannot search ones vehicle, but.....

they will ask you for consent, if you say yes and a gun is found, adios.

if you say no, they can hold you out of service because you are being what they call "uncooperative" until an arbitrator or judge tells them to let you come back to work or upholds their dismissal.

As yet, there have only been just cause firings, no one has been held out of service here over this issue.

I consider is moot unless someone gets complacent with a gun or other obvious things that could lead to legal search.

be cautious and they have no case.

BTW....empoyees here are represented by a UNION....and it makes all the difference in the world in whether a corp. can fire you for denying an unjustified search.

Whirlpool, Vangaurd etc can fire employees at will anyway.

dalepres

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not by the police.

The police also shouldn't just respond to a request to search by a private entity. A public school i.e. non-intrusive K-9 locker sniffing is generally performed but not at the request of a private company.

Wasn't this whole question started by a company having the local county sherrif's department run dogs through a parking lot? One that wasn't even owned or solely used by the company?

The company I work for has a very detailed policy about how searches of persons and vehicles are to be performed. That is scary - that they even consider how they would conduct such searches. Do you give up not only your 2nd amendment rights but also your 4th amendment rights when you go to work? And if so, do you give up your equal opportunity rights as well?

Either you give up your constitutional rights when you go to work or you don't, it seems to me. I think that the answer should be that you don't. Of course you can refuse the search by the company and be fired. Funny, since you can't be fired for insisting on other constitutional protections.

Dale

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, the constitution protects you from the government. I don't like it, but whatever agreement you enter when you begin employment is between you and your employer. Equal opportunity is a whole different matter.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like Florida is about to go through what we are going through right now.

copied from the NRA alerts said:
COMMENTARY: Businesses may not usurp constitutional rights

A link Look for "guns-at-work bill" under FLORIDA CAPITAL NEWS heading.

The right to keep and bear arms is clearly protected by both the U.S. Constitution and the Florida Constitution. "Bear" means transport and "keep" means you can take it with you. Further, the Florida Constitution specifically makes it clear that the right to keep and bear arms for self-defense is pre-eminent. Businesses have no right to usurp the constitutional and statutory rights of workers, shoppers or invitees simply because of a political position against the lawful ownership of firearms. And, make no mistake, it is a political position that has nothing to do with your safety.

FLORIDA: Report On Senate Bill 1130 - Ready For Final Senate Floor Debate Now! Senate Bill 1130 was heard on second reading on the Senate Floor, yesterday, Thursday, April 3. On second reading of SB1130, anti-gun Senators filed 15 amendments for anti-gun business groups in an effort to gut or derail the bill. Some amendments were designed to ban so-called "assault weapons" (semiautomatic firearms) from cars in parking lots; ban guns in any parking lot used by pharmacies or stores that sell "controlled substances" like prescription medication, cough syrup, allergy pills, etc.; ban guns in cars at gas stations; ban guns in cars in parking lots of any property where electricity could be generated -- like emergency power/back-up generators (that all shopping centers, stores and large buildings and facilities have) solar power panels and windmills. All of the anti-gun amendments were either defeated outright or withdrawn.

The Senate then adopted amendments to conform SB 1130 to HB 503 and put the bill in position for debate and final passage when the Senate next meets in session, currently scheduled for next Wednesday, April 9.

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom