Enjoy Your 2% Pay Raise!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was looking at my paystub for this week online and noticed my net pay had jumped. I was not aware of any changes by the recent round of backscratching in Washington, I thought it was just going to stay the same. Well, Social Security witholding for those of us who gross less than $106,800.00 a year went down by 2%! Not a lot of money but equivalent to some pay raises I've had in the past. Just makes me wonder about the future (or current) ramifications of doing this.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering why they did that too, when we keep hearing that SS will run out of money especailly with all the baby boomers in the system and more on the way.

I'm sure we will all have to pay for it in the end.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was looking at my paystub for this week online and noticed my net pay had jumped. I was not aware of any changes by the recent round of backscratching in Washington, I thought it was just going to stay the same. Well, Social Security witholding for those of us who gross less than $106,800.00 a year went down by 2%! Not a lot of money but equivalent to some pay raises I've had in the past. Just makes me wonder about the future (or current) ramifications of doing this.

Since it is only January 6, is there any chance your pay stub is for money earned in 2010?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...it's not a pay raise...

True, but if I fully expect for that system to collapse before I reach retirement anyway, I surely don't want to pay into it now. I understand I'm not "paying in" for myself but supporting those currently on the program, but still... that's my principle.

I'm generally not a fan of "across the board" tax cuts (if they result in deficit spending, some do some don't... of course this is not an 'income' tax cute per se), but this I like!

Those receiving SS/Medicaid payments may disagree. How are we going to plug that donut hole we just filled with the Health Care plan?

Grendel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, in addition to the 2% cut in taxes from the .gov, we found out yesterday that we won't have to take the last two furlough rays this year and that our pay will be restored accordingly (somethig like 2.5% I thnk). So now I'll finally be making what I did when I was hired more than two years ago :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom