Ethical Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Public land...you come across someone's tree stand (homemade from 2x4s, not the kind you would buy in a store) in a prime location overlooking a well traveled trail. Do you have a right to use it?

I've heard some people say "Public land, public stand". I'm divided, but I don't feel someone has the right to just leave a tree stand on public land for the entire season as if that spot is theirs and theirs alone, unless they're willing to let others use it when they're not there.

Opinions?

shady

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do....Public land is for everyone. If someone chooses to build a stand on Public land, anyone should be able to use it if it is empty. Why would they have the only rights to that spot just because they built a structure there?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could see an early morning or late afternoon argument in the woods on that one, especially if somebody put one up late afternoon, and intended to hunt it the next morning, and somebody else was sitting in it that didn't build it, or carry it out into the field?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Public land = Illegal stand.

No permanent type stands may be constructed in or on a tree nor shall cleats be driven into a tree to gain access to a portion of any tree nor shall any person hunt from such a stand. Only portable type stands, that do not require the use of any fastening device that has the potential of damaging a tree, are permitted. Stands shall be removed from the tree immediately following the closure of the hunt for which they were used with a limit of no more than 14 days. Stands remaining after this time become the property of the Department to be disposed of in the best practical manner.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/restrictions.htm

But if it was a legal stand, it would be quite tool-like to hunt out of it IMO. Say it was legal portable stand, It would be ridiculous to hunt out of a legal stand some other guy bought and hung. Like "borrowing" an unlocked car.

Being illegal I would steer clear of it (or possibly remove it, don't know if thats "proper" though)

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I found a permanent stand on public land, I'd hunt it. I know they are illegal but if it was there, that is what I would do. You can't own the tree.

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good post, Ridge. I was about to voice my opinion that were it permanent, I'd hunt it if it were empty.

Your post shines light on a regulation of which I was ignorant, so thanks for saving me a possible ticket...if I ever get un-lazy and hit some public land, I'll be huffing the climber.

Latest posts

Top Bottom