Ethical Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. Just to clarify, the stand in question is literally just a few 2x4s nailed together to form a small platform. It's not some elaborate clubhouse. It's most definitely portable. I didn't hunt it but just wanted to get others opinions.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. Just to clarify, the stand in question is literally just a few 2x4s nailed together to form a small platform. It's not some elaborate clubhouse. It's most definitely portable. I didn't hunt it but just wanted to get others opinions.
I'm not sure I would trust someone else's handy-work either.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No.

1) If it's nailed in the tree it's illegal and you will be fined if a GW finds you in it. NO permanent stands, whether you built it or not.

2) If it's portable, I still wouldn't hunt it. IIRC, the regs say that a portable stand can be placed on public land and left for the duration of the hunt (not to exceed 14 days).

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Our hunting lease is infested with stands We had a little fuss over people using someones elses stand. all of our stands must be marked with the owners name and phone number.Most of the time I get a call and someone will ask to use the stand. I've made it clear that anyone can use my stands but if I show up to hunt from it, they will be expected to vacate. It's more a matter of just having good manners than than hunting ethics.

Pat

shady

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our hunting lease is infested with stands We had a little fuss over people using someones elses stand. all of our stands must be marked with the owners name and phone number.Most of the time I get a call and someone will ask to use the stand. I've made it clear that anyone can use my stands but if I show up to hunt from it, they will be expected to vacate. It's more a matter of just having good manners than than hunting ethics.

Pat

You are talking about LEASED land. Private land is totally different. Everyone should have the same opportunity to hunt ANY area (as long as it is not occupied) and you should not have to move because someone took it upon themselves to put up a stand.:puppet2:

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A problem I encountered on public land. Scouting before season I located an area I wished to hunt. When I went back, there was a stand chained and padlocked in the same area. That stand was there the entire season pretty much preventing me from hunting that spot unless I wanted to risk a confrontation with whoever was using it. Which would have been likely no matter if I put up my own stand nearby or if I hunted their stand. Even if I were to report the stand, and if it was actually removed due to a violation of the area rules and I went back with my portable stand to hunt the location. When the original stand owner showed I still would be unable to hunt there as I would likely be accused of calling it in or worse actually accused of taking the stand. I was scouting in SE OK just yesterday and found a chained ladder stand within the first hour of walking.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are talking about LEASED land. Private land is totally different. Everyone should have the same opportunity to hunt ANY area (as long as it is not occupied) and you should not have to move because someone took it upon themselves to put up a stand.:puppet2:

I believe that you can hunt in the same area that someone has put a stand on public land, hell put a stand next to it or sit and hunt under it. I also think its rude to sit in said stand and hunt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom