Ever Been Held To Blame For The Sins Of Your Fathers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OV1kenobi

Marksman
Reaction score
Well, I am glad that I wasn't banned outright - at least on this forum.

Sort of ironic, but there is some general thought and discussion that all is fine and forgiven, at least cut some slack, if one's forefather was a member of the WWII German Wehrmacht or Japanese Imperial Army.

We have even come to terms with our enemies in Vietnam.

However, there is ONE WAR that our nation seems to NEVER FORGIVE and come to terms with - The U.S. Civil War/Confederate States War Of Independence.

No matter how much we try to bury it under various and sundry bitter, nasty and tasteless attempts at humor, the bottom line is that we Americans have NEVER forgiven each other for that particular war.

So very, very sad - considering that much of the world despises us, no matter what sort of American you might happen to be.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel your pain.
i606.photobucket.com_albums_tt144_jsutton68_newesttat.jpg

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I am glad that I wasn't banned outright - at least on this forum.

Sort of ironic, but there is some general thought and discussion that all is fine and forgiven, at least cut some slack, if one's forefather was a member of the WWII German Wehrmacht or Japanese Imperial Army.

We have even come to terms with our enemies in Vietnam.

However, there is ONE WAR that our nation seems to NEVER FORGIVE and come to terms with - The U.S. Civil War/Confederate States War Of Independence.

No matter how much we try to bury it under various and sundry bitter, nasty and tasteless attempts at humor, the bottom line is that we Americans have NEVER forgiven each other for that particular war.

So very, very sad - considering that much of the world despises us, no matter what sort of American you might happen to be.

Hell the Jews vs. Arabs has been going on since the start of written history... and they still hate each other!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Germany and Japan got their asses kicked, realized it, dealt with it and moved on. It's the folks who, living in some fantasy of a "South" they never lived in or fought for, continue to prattle on about the South Doin' it Again and such that gets some folks riled up. Just as people would get riled up if someone kept running their mouth about the pride of the 3d Reich and Imperialist Japan. It's those types of folks you can thank for it being a tough subject. Sucks, but that's the case.

The real fact is, most of us got over "it" quite nicely....as did your kin, General Lane, by all accounts. He was free to keep his uniform on and continue the fight, but he didn't. When the war ended, he hung up his uniform and went on to a noteworthy career in academia.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dammed photobucket is doing maintenance, or I'd show you pics of my relatives that served during the war between the states.

BTW it wasn't a civil war.

No, it wasn't. It also wasn't about slavery either. I like "War of Northern Aggression" myself. After the supposed "War to Free the Slaves" the northern aggressors enhanced their Ethnic Segregation policies and then blamed that on the South. It was, however, very much about the 10th Amendment. Downslope ever since.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Im not really a North/South war kinda guy, but i bet we never have another war like that. Not enough difference in cultures anymore. We've been quietly assimilated into one big culture.

Latest posts

Top Bottom