Ever had your vehicle broken into while at a Dealership?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petersonb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I go to Joe Cooper Ford in Tulsa for stuff I cant do myself or to order parts for my 02' GT, 98' SVT Cobra, or our 03' Explorer. A Mustang buddy of mine, he has a Roush, is a service writer there.

Good to know! Mine is 06 GT with the Eaton M112 supercharger, same as the 03 Cobra. Just about anything to be done on a GT is done. Putting a new limited slip and Moser axles in at the moment, but nice to know there's someone capable nearby!

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I go to Joe Cooper Ford in Tulsa for stuff I cant do myself or to order parts for my 02' GT, 98' SVT Cobra, or our 03' Explorer. A Mustang buddy of mine, he has a Roush, is a service writer there.

We bought my truck and my wife's GT from them. But they aren't immune from problems, 3 of the mustangs we were interested in were unavailable because they had just geen recovered from a theft ring that included a dealership employee who was the inside man.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
weird to me that they took the time to take the dash out AND they had the tools to do it. I've had my stereo taken before. They tore it out of the dash. Either they were pros, or they were an inside man and knew they had plenty of time and it wouldn't come back on the dealership. Seems super fishy to me.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol an attorney isn't going to do jack. The dealership isn't liable. If it was broken into on a street would the city be liable? File it on your home owners insurance, throw in a few extra things and move on.

This depends on a few things
The same happened to me a few years ago, long story but obvious inside job. Stealership tried to pull the same crap, "read the sign on the wall".... Well my lawyer disagreed with the sign and so does state law. Company policy can't supersede law! My truck was broken into and all stereo stuff stolen while at the car lot.
Here is the "depends" parts...
If the vehicle is parked in a closed off or secured area, like in a building/shop (mine was in the shop) or inside locked or secured gates the Dealsrship is completely liable for anything that happens to it. If it isn't parked inside a secure area, like just out on the open lot then they arnt liable for it.
My lawyer kept bringing up the term for it, but as soon as it was mentioned to the dealership they covered everything PDQ when before my lawyer talked they kept tellin me I was SOL.

Mechanicalmehem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't think you will have a leg to stand on... It's basically the same as parkng it in a wal-mart parking lot, even if they have a chain link fence around the cars they are working on I is usually intended to keep the cars in and not peopl out...
--Mech

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is correct, but even if it's checked into service the dealership is not responsible. It's in the fine print at the bottom of the paper work, or posted on the walls.

Im not a legal expert but you cannot put up a disclaimer and be absolved of liability. Just because someone posts a sign does not relieve responsibility. If the dealership told you that it did they are idiots. I took 3 business law classes and the instructor was a local attorney. The biggest bulk of what we went over was liability and dog bite law in OK. For what its worth the signs are a bluf and you should do some research

Go to oscn and search through ok statutes

Latest posts

Top Bottom