Exchanging an old iphone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As another poster mentioned, it was discovered a few years ago that Apple installs a remote monitoring kill code for apps. It is not too hard to conclude that they have done the same thing for other features. The actual code has not been discovered, but that is because I believe that is so well hidden. It doesn't damage the phone, instead it disrupts the service and slows the phone down, driving the customer to the nearest store for the newest phone. Every single person I know with an iphone has experienced dropped calls, slow email and text service, as well general slower operation of their phones. I have had this happen twice with my phones. My phones are maintained in otterboxes, so physical damage is not an issue. This is a real problem that just hasn't surfaced yet.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I highly suggest you skip the 5. Apple sends out a kill code to all iphones about 2 months before the release of a new iphone. This doesn't brick the phone, but it makes it sluggish, drop calls and a have all sorts of problems that let the owner know it is time for a new iphone. I have had 2 iphones, and every single time a new one comes out, my phone starts acting up. It isn't just me. I have a friend who runs IT for a drilling company, every phone they have (over 450 lines) is an iphone. The last 2 generations of iPhones, about 2 months before the release, every phone started having various problems. Not all phones react the same, so have network issues, some have connectivity problems, cant send emails, texts are slow, etc. The first time it happened to me, I raised an eyebrow, this time I am convinced this an Apple tactic. 450 phones all in different areas can't be a coincidence.

********. I have a 4, have had no problems with it all thru the 4s and now 5, been a great phone. Contract is up and thinking about a 5.

cichlid-dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I highly suggest you skip the 5. Apple sends out a kill code to all iphones about 2 months before the release of a new iphone. This doesn't brick the phone, but it makes it sluggish, drop calls and a have all sorts of problems that let the owner know it is time for a new iphone. I have had 2 iphones, and every single time a new one comes out, my phone starts acting up. It isn't just me. I have a friend who runs IT for a drilling company, every phone they have (over 450 lines) is an iphone. The last 2 generations of iPhones, about 2 months before the release, every phone started having various problems. Not all phones react the same, so have network issues, some have connectivity problems, cant send emails, texts are slow, etc. The first time it happened to me, I raised an eyebrow, this time I am convinced this an Apple tactic. 450 phones all in different areas can't be a coincidence.

********. I have a 4, have had no problems with it all thru the 4s and now 5, been a great phone. Contract is up and thinking about a 5.

Never had any problems with my old phones.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've had tons of problems with my Iphone 3g for the past 3 weeks.
Dropped calls, text that take 3 hours to 1 day to come through or send. Random times and areas of poor service in areas of known previously great service. Apps shutting down, setting reverting back to original settings.

kalstrand

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
what version of iphone do you have?

Its a 32GB iphone 4.

As for the "kill code" issues I've never had a problem in the year since the 4s was released or any problems in the last couple months of the ramp up for the iphone 5.

I have already decided against the iphone 5. I don't like how it looks. I could overlook that if the hardware was really impressive but its not so I'm going to switch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom