Exotics - help me pick out an oddball sporting rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I've been thinking for a while about something exotic and different. I'm an AR guy all the way, and I've been thinking of a bullpup-style or something similar. I could always do a bullpup conversion on an SKS or something, and that may still be a possibility as well.

But with Wanenmacher's coming up this weekend, I've been doing some research to see if I can spot a decent or good deal on one of the following:

PS90
Tavor
Kriss Vector

Personally, I am leaning toward the Vector. The pistol-caliber choices, the Gen II allows for multiple-caliber compatibility - although I believe the conversions are quite expensive - and the Glock mag compatibility are all big selling points.

I really like the feel of the PS90 and one of my friend has one, but the ammo is oddball, expensive, and reloading is problematic, although not impossible. He's told me a little about it, but it sounds complicated. And I don't think I want to do a one-off caliber weapon. Unless I find a really stellar deal on one at the show.

The Tavor I don't know a lot about yet. I like the bullpup design. Trigger options look expensive from what little I have seen. They take standard 5.56 PMAGs which is nice. I do see a 9mm version, but I think that's it other than 5.56. Super high prices for what you seem to get. It is short but has the 16" barrel characteristics, but let's be real, this isn't something to shoot hundreds of yards with. I got plenty of other rifles for benchrest shooting. Seems to float around $1700. I like it, but I don't know if it's worth it, ya know?

So, I am leaning towards the Vector, but I'm open to ideas and to other possibilities. I am looking for something kind of exotic, not just 'another AR' or whatever. I know my son would lose his mind if I brought home one of these, lol. I think it's pretty cool, too, having 'played' with these over the years in FPS video games and such. This is a fun toy kind of exercise, not necessarily something practical, but hey, if it is also practical at the same time, that's a bonus, right?

So what would you buy? Let's say my total budget is 2k or so.

bubbaokie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple of the CMMG AR Pistols, one n 45 ACP and one 5.7x38. They are a lot of fun, especially the 45 in a hog situation. Haven't found a lot of use for the 5,7x28 (but it is fun).

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you do decide for the sks, I think I have a bullpup stock from Shernic that has never been installed that I would sell

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve owned all these and an Aug, Scoprion, and Scar.

I like the ps90 best. The 5.7 is a great purpose built round. The mag holds 50, it will never go down in value, and it’s just plain cool despite being the oldest of the group.

Tavor gets my second vote, I just also think an AR Pistol is just as good at 1/3 the price.

Not on your list, but the Scoprion has proven to be a great weapon. Mine is now an SBR, and has about 2-3k through it, half of which suppressed, without a single issue.

Rounding out the bottom, I had a lot of problems with my Aug and their customer service was eh at best.
The Scar is wayyy overpriced, if it was closer to $1500 maybe, but not 2500-3k.
The Kriss Vector I had was a gen 1. I just didn’t really like it, it was too gimmicky feeling to me. Glock mags are nice, but the extenders they made were cheap. The trigger is probably the worst of the group as well. All bullpups have pretty awful triggers imo, but this one was awful.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the Aug is likely out of the question, I don't think I'm going to find one under 2k. I could save up and do it, but... eh. I dunno. I'll have to do some research.

The Scorpion is interesting, I'll need to look into that, too.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So the Aug is likely out of the question, I don't think I'm going to find one under 2k. I could save up and do it, but... eh. I dunno. I'll have to do some research.

The Scorpion is interesting, I'll need to look into that, too.
I will add that my SIL has a Scorpion and that it can be run much faster than my AR9. It's much lighter, and gets to target faster than the AR. The ergos are really good and it's a quality piece.

ETA: Take a look at the Sig MPX too.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will add that my SIL has a Scorpion and that it can be run much faster than my AR9. It's much lighter, and gets to target faster than the AR. The ergos are really good and it's a quality piece.

ETA: Take a look at the Sig MPX too.

That was one I had my eye on before. As well as the Sig Rattler in .300AAC, but I think that will be out of my pricerange, too. Although... I can load for that, AND I have a .30 cal can already. So that may be an option.

Latest posts

Top Bottom