Expired W-231 Powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lewis F Jones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just came across a can (yes-a metal can of W 231) that I had purchased 8-15-1984. It was in a box of reloading stuff I had lost track of in my attic. I was talking gun talk with a vendor whose opinion I really respect but when he told me to just dump it in the garden for the nitrogen, I looked for the ingredients list but no cigar there. I wanted to ask you guys for your experience with disposing these materials.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dump in the flower bed, don’t make big piles just spread it evenly.
Pour it out in a small line and put flame to it, it doesn’t burn as fast as you would think.
Save the can, many folks here about collect older containers.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didnt know powder had a expiration date on it, if it smells good and burns good it will shoot good. I have only ever throwed 1 can of powder away and it was black powder substituate that had a really bad smell to it and dont know how it was stored since it was given to me in a trade and i just spread it over my raise bed garden.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just came across a can (yes-a metal can of W 231) that I had purchased 8-15-1984. It was in a box of reloading stuff I had lost track of in my attic. I was talking gun talk with a vendor whose opinion I really respect but when he told me to just dump it in the garden for the nitrogen, I looked for the ingredients list but no cigar there. I wanted to ask you guys for your experience with disposing these materials.
Gunpowder contains nitrate(s), just like yard fertilizer. Potassium Nitrate, which you can buy in bags to put on your grass, is often used as an explosive in mining operations. One of the largest accidental explosions in a TX port was due to mishandling potassium nitrate.
Spoiled gunpowder changes color and smells acrid. If it is spoiled, then spread it for fertilizer as described above.
I don't recommend playing with spoiled gunpowder to see how it burns; one of the decomposition products can be nitroglycerin.

Lewis F Jones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gunpowder contains nitrate(s), just like yard fertilizer. Potassium Nitrate, which you can buy in bags to put on your grass, is often used as an explosive in mining operations. One of the largest accidental explosions in a TX port was due to mishandling potassium nitrate.
Spoiled gunpowder changes color and smells acrid. If it is spoiled, then spread it for fertilizer as described above.
I don't recommend playing with spoiled gunpowder to see how it burns; one of the decomposition products can be nitroglycerin.
Thx, I need a little extra oomph for my okra, you just can't make a good Gumbo without Okra!

Lewis F Jones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My only hesitation would be ... it's been stored in the attic.
Yep, I just didn't realize that's where it was and have since searched all the stuff I brought into this Marriage. I even found the old jeans I was saving for my new Bride to make me a quilt. She tells me she'll need more Jeans to cover the bed we have! No more stored in the attic (hot) powder. All of mine is dated and stored inside in a climate controlled Steel locking cabinet inside.

Latest posts

Top Bottom