Fact Sheet from whitehouse.gov on tomorrow's actions..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of this is weak, some is just eyewash, and a little is nonsense but I agree that the open ended re-definition of "engaged in the business of buying and selling guns" is potentially open to great abuse. The smart gun technology push is fantasy (and possibly a gift to some techie start up firm). Some things like more ATF agents - well, ok, no objections here. Other parts about background checks regardless of how guns are sold is completely deceptive - dealers are already under that rule and anyone who thinks there is an internet or gun show exception is a fool. That whole line of argument is just a different front in the attack on private gun sales of any kind. I wasn't thrilled by the SSA plans either - so my mother who has trouble with large numerical calculations now in her older years is to be considered a mental defective functionally equivalent to a a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic at least as regards gun purchasing?

I note that he did not say explicitly or forcefully say he would direct the Attorney General to have US Attorneys prioritize prosecuting straw purchasers, something his Justice Department has been unwilling or unmotivated to do for the last seven years.

What about the NFA and Gun Trust points? I am unfamiliar with those rules - do his intended actions have significant implications in that regard?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another issue will be with medical reporting.

I agree that we need to do something with the mentally unstable. Those folks have been in the forefront of some of the mass shootings, and other incidents. I didn't see anything in the link that was a solution to that problem.

The latest reporting requirements by the VA and those required now by ostupidcare can ask if one has guns in the house.

My answer will always be no.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My current reading is that the EOs give ATF agents more of a mandate to go after private sellers, even if they sell one or two guns and have other factors (such as the original packaging of the firearm , according to the AG ).

Seems like the current goal is to harass private sellers. But why? When the data clearly shows that private sales are less then 10% of gun transfers and have negligible contributions to crime?
See: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/337834/private-gun-sales-numbers-robert-verbruggen

IMHO, This is likely the start to create actual legislation in the future (if the right people win the WH and Congress) to keep going after private sellers within states.
:)

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is interesting (my bold);

Include information from the Social Security Administration in the background check system about beneficiaries who are prohibited from possessing a firearm.

Current law prohibits individuals from buying a gun if, because of a mental health issue, they are either a danger to themselves or others or are unable to manage their own affairs. The Social Security Administration (SSA) has indicated that it will begin the rulemaking process to ensure that appropriate information in its records is reported to NICS. The reporting that SSA, in consultation with the Department of Justice, is expected to require will cover appropriate records of the approximately 75,000 people each year who have a documented mental health issue, receive disability benefits, and are unable to manage those benefits because of their mental impairment, or who have been found by a state or federal court to be legally incompetent. The rulemaking will also provide a mechanism for people to seek relief from the federal prohibition on possessing a firearm for reasons related to mental health.

So what is a "documented mental health issue"? Taking antidepressants?

Seems like this could be open for abuse too.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is interesting (my bold);

So what is a "documented mental health issue"? Taking antidepressants?

Seems like this could be open for abuse too.
Absolutely. Your doctor will have the ability to report you to the FBI if , in their professional opinion, you are mentally unstable.

In other words, if you are not polite to your doctor, they can take away your ability to ever own a firearm again.

I can see doctors coming under pressure to report X number of people as mentally unstable. Don't think you need to TELL them you are unstable, they can just decide, in their professional judgement, that you are mentally unstable.

So, if your doctor feels that people of a certain race or color should not own firearms, guess what? They won't say a word to you, but.....

Next time you go to buy a firearm, surprise!

Last edited:

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
having been a Federal employee for 5 years I can tell you.....the lack of defining parameters in this order leaves the decision as to what is "in the business" up to individual, low level managers....you are now at the mercy of some unidentified, faceless moron that can do whatever they want.

this is not good.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
having been a Federal employee for 5 years I can tell you.....the lack of defining parameters in this order leaves the decision as to what is "in the business" up to individual, low level managers....you are now at the mercy of some unidentified, faceless moron that can do whatever they want.

this is not good.
I'm sure lower level employees will be given "guidelines" via internal memos.

Latest posts

Top Bottom