Favorite Dog Breed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lived with family that had a female rottweiler. She died and later we ended up with one of our own. They were just alike, though they never met.
Once they had a litter they were the best dogs I've ever seen.

My cousin and I canoed out into the middle of the pond with my sister and my 1yo nephew, well the rott didn't like that. She barked at the shore until she had enough, then she jumped in to come get us. It wasn't much of a pond. My cousin hadn't flipped the pull rope into the canoe, and she found it and drug us back to the shore. (That was the first rott.)

My rott was the same way, protective about kids. Once my (now older) nephew got stung by a bee and screamed bloody murder. She was trying to get him drug up to the house I guess. Herding instinct. She shredded the nylon track suit he was wearing, trying to drag him to the house. It took us a minute to figure out what had happened!

Both of them would turn sticks into toothpicks and shred golfballs. When kids were playing, digging in the dirt or whatever, they would sit about two feet behind the kid, on their haunches. Just watching, guarding.

They were good all around. If you go read the Wikipedia listing describing the ideal Rottweiler temperament, that actually describes the Rott I had perfectly. She died at 13.
The other rott was the same way obviously.

Last edited:

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would have to say Golden Retrievers. We had a male that I have always said "raised" our two kids. I was working some odd, and sometimes long, hours when they were growing up. I never really worried about them with that Golden on watch. He was a big marshmallow ... very lovable ... but he showed more than once that he would protect the family whatever came up. As to Pit Bulls, I used to be 100% intolerant of them. UNTIL, our son adopted one. She is one of the most loving animals I have ever seen. She must be respected ... she is stronger than even she realizes. I suppose my favorite 'breed' would have to be our current master, a beagle mix. She adopted us a little over a year ago.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Brittany is my buddy. He is a shadow to me around the house, and lives to hunt birds.
If I get a gun out of one of the safes, he goes nuts, and won't leave me alone, nor get very far from the gun.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC00916.jpg

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Brittany is my buddy. He is a shadow to me around the house, and lives to hunt birds.
If I get a gun out of one of the safes, he goes nuts, and won't leave me alone, nor get very far from the gun.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC00916.jpg
LOL ,now ,That is a Gundog..
my little guy will tear the snouts out of any dog out there(9# longhair Chihuahua...hes sooo mean LOL)
hes my buddy ..we play in the yard whenever we can...but no out side front...hes faster than any ol greyhond
Pits ..have to be managed, taught and behavior controled
Chows..loyal stubborn
I had a chow and pit for a while ...one wouldnt let you in ,the other wouldnt let you out...hope you meet the right one first...lol

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone said; "Mutts", and I must agree. Most of the dogs that I have owned in my life would fit that description. When I was young we had a few full blood bird dogs, but most everything else has been a mixed breed. I've owned a bunch since I've been on my own, almost all of them have been great dogs. I had a Australian Shepard/Collie mix that was my buddy though a hard time, nearly broke my heart when he died. Another was a Doberman mix that was a pound rescue, one of the smartest, best house broken dogs I've ever seen. When I was married, we got a a Chihuahua from my sister, she was a great companion and lived with me for over fifteen years. Before she died a woman that worked for me, gave me another Chihuahua, who is the best watch dog/scorpion finder that you can ask for.

Go get a rescue dog, save it's life, get a friend for life. To paraphrase Mark Twain, if I get to Heaven and there are no dogs there, I want to go to where the dogs are.

blckthree

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Bullmastiff for me. Porkchop is my 3rd over the years. Very easy going, likes people, rarely barks, easy maintenance, and keeps the boogie man from coming through the door. Here's a picture of him at 7 months old and 125lbs. He has slowed in growth and is a bit over 150lbs now.

Mike :)

img.photobucket.com_albums_v509_blckthree_IMG_2274.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom