What was/is your favorite?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We always had bags of off brand cereal so not much good for reading but, was the go to junk food growing up. I was the iconic kid eating a salad bowl of cereal with a serving spoon.

So after I move out and finally got sick of eating out every meal I went to the store one morning on a mission for a bowl of cereal. I pick out my favorite and even splurged for the box brand of frosted mini wheats; grabbed a gallon of milk and off I went. Not that I was short on cash but I just couldn't believe it when the cashier wanted almost $10 for cereal and milk?!?!?

I called my mom on the way out of the store "do you know how expensive this crap is" and "why would you let us eat this so much". To this day I think that was one of her greatest moments for her lol

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I also liked Super Sugar Crisp with the Sugar Bear on the box.

1692902179115.png

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thought/think they were utterly tasteless. OTH, I was born with the sweet tooth from hell.
For the most part, I'm just the opposite. I'm not a fan of sweet stuff for breakfast. Every once in a while I'll get a craving for something sweet, but mostly I'd rather have biscuits and gravy than cereal or pancakes.

As for the Grape Nuts, I'm pretty sure the only use for that stuff is to fill in potholes. BLECH!!

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Growing up it was mostly cheerios and grapenuts. Now if I got a sweet craving it'll be life cereal because that's what my wife buys for herself. I still really like grapenuts. I'll pour milk over it and leave it on the counter while I drink my coffee, when I go back to refill coffee pickup the cereal and it's the perfect softness. I broke a crown loose several years back with grapenuts so I had to adapt.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cap'n Crunch and Lucky Charms were probably my two favorite boxed cereals.

It was a real treat to occasionally have cooked (boiled) whole wheat berries (grains) in a bowl, a bit of milk, and sugar on top!

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cinnamon life, fruity pebbles, and special K with sliced banana.

Had to use braums milk too, over the years that is the ONLY thing that hasn't changed too.

Oh most important thing is that you must have cereal from a red solo cup! Don't use a bowl like some fancy type either.
Since I moved here, 27ish years ago, agree on the Braums milk, but I mostly used a quart mixing bowl once I got out on my own. Only stopped that recently. Cut back on the case a day Coke™ habit too. For some reason it's harder to lose weight now at age 68. :anyone:

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the most part, I'm just the opposite. I'm not a fan of sweet stuff for breakfast. Every once in a while I'll get a craving for something sweet, but mostly I'd rather have biscuits and gravy than cereal or pancakes.

As for the Grape Nuts, I'm pretty sure the only use for that stuff is to fill in potholes. BLECH!!
Agree about Grape Nuts. :) Like biscuits & gravy, biscuits and jam, heck, ANY breakfast foods. Love hot cereals, too. Mostly drown them in syrup, whipped cream, or both...

Been known to joke that I like a bit of tea flavoring in my sugar syrup, too. Been known to eat boxes of sugar cubes. Boss at work one day watched me eat 17 candy bars in a 2-1/2 hour period just before lunch. Nearly half a case of Coke™ to wash them down. They called me "Mr.Munchy." He said if he'd tried that he'd have been in a diabetic coma by the 3rd candy bar.

Wife jokes that if she sugar-coated cat raisins she as sure I'd eat them. I hope she never tested it. ;)

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always been kind of an odd duck when it comes to cereal. My favorite when I was growing up was the big ol' Shredded Wheat biscuits. You know, the ones where it was one single biscuit that filled up your whole bowl. Just enough sugar to taste it and then let it sit in the milk until there was almost no crunch left.

View attachment 404761
I grew up with that and post toasties I really only ate cereal once a week because grandma made breakfast everyday before school so I mainly had fresh eggs and homemade sausage and biscuits with a big glass of fresh cows milk from the evening before when I milked.

Latest posts

Top Bottom