Favorite Dog Breed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjoe.45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me it is Labs. Smart, loyal and protective. With that said, they will generally chew up everything within 10 acres with a special place in their hearts for A/C units (generally only when it is about 1000 degrees out side) and tv cable!

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last dogs we've had were Great Danes, only problem about them, they are the heart break breed. Elwood died from a ruptured tumor on his spleen, age 10. This past June had to put Jessie down, damned arthritus got too bad, she was 11..

My daughters dog is a Boxer. She's really cool, just likes to eat everything, I call her Daisey the chew.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love my heelers i can't remember not having at least one at any point in my life. Loyal smart ( sometimes to much for their own good) extremely protective and a strong will to work. I work on a ranch and the pup I've got now is worth his weight in gold !! And they all have a unique personality. I've also got a lab mix that is an awesome dog. They both have masterd me.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At first, I wasn't going to respond to this thread because I don't have a favorite breed. I've been a dog person all my life and have had many companions, both mixed and pedigreed. I like a dog because of it's personality, devotion, friendliness, etc. instead of what it is. (Actually, I sorta think of people in the same way.)

But, I do have a couple of current favorites and I need to pay them a little tribute. My companion for the last 13 years is Shooting Starr's Commander, a NAVHDA dog that I have shared motel rooms, tents, and the front seat of my pickup with over that time. His call name is Ike. Thus my screen name (Ike and I). I needed to talk a little about him because we have been so close over the last few years. I was stationed in Kansas when I first got him and I liked the kind of dogs that Shooting Starr German Shorthaired Pointer Kennels had. So, I drove to Wisconsin and picked him up one cold winter day. He rode on my wife's shoulder all the way back to Kansas. Here he is when I chose him at 5 weeks of age.
i161.photobucket.com_albums_t201_IkenI_photo_IMG_0002.jpg
The Vet's daughter, Kristen, called him Big Mac. When he was less than a year old, on opening day in Missouri, he backed my older female GSP on Quail (he didn't really understand them then) and she backed him to get a limit of Roosters in less than 3 hours. Here he was in Kansas at about a year old.
i161.photobucket.com_albums_t201_IkenI_photo_IMG_0001.jpg

We have spent many a good hunt in Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Missouri, Colorado and Iowa chasing birds over the last few years. We are both old and stiff, near deaf, but we still enjoy the time afield. There is a pretty dismal forecast for birds this year but we are going on our last hunt next month. Then he will be retired. He has a new buddy in Emma, my wife's Westie. They tree squirrels in the yard together. Emma thinks she will grow up to be a bird dog one of these days.
i161.photobucket.com_albums_t201_IkenI_photo_003.jpg

Here's my buddy Ike
[Broken External Image]
i161.photobucket.com_albums_t201_IkenI_photo_smIke.jpg

Last edited:

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over the years I could really care less what the breed is and as you can tell I do love dogs. I have a pure bred Border and she has exceeded all of my expectations, but having said that, again read whatever the thing is at the bottom of the post. Will Rogers said it. I seriously follow that, I have never met a dog I did not like and dogs ARE our best friends. They are the most loyal no matter pure bred or mix, as far as I have seen in my old life that we have. I still miss my friends dog, Jackie, she was lovely.

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BOXER. Our boxer is SOOOOO patient and gentle with our kids and I have no doubt she would lay down her life to protect them. She is the perfect guard dog, playmate, companion, and 60lb lap dog. She is gentle most of the time but can be FIERCE when necessary. It ANYTHING gets within 10 feet of our kids, be it squirrel or bird, she is there to "protect" our children. She follows them outside and watches over them. Words can not describe how great out boxer is.

B

BoSox110

Pit Bull is my best. I have a 4 yr old female named Koda who lives with me on oil field job sites. She loves everyone and everyone loves her. BTW I hate Michael Vick!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom