Favorite lake for water sports?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just bought my first boat today. Want to get the family out doing some tubing, wake boarding and wave surfing. Whats your favorite lake in Oklahoma? Here is my list so far:

Arcadia
Tenkiller
Eufaula
Arbuckle
Murray
Thunderbird

Granted I haven't been on any of these lakes. This was talking to the folks at the boat dealership and a few people I know.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Texhoma. Big and has lots of coves that provide breaks against the wind. Problem is after rain's there is lots of partially submerged trees washed in from the feeder creeks. I've never had a problem.
Another benefit is you can take your boat over to the texas side and eat and have fun with boat docking at the restaurant/bar.
Bring a designated driver if you plan to drink and make sure you have enough safety jackets.
They patrol the state lakes closely, as they should. Lots of kids and families use it and it gets full on holidays.
I'm partial because it's so close and I've been going there forever.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like Arbuckle. Short drive, nice water, usually not crowded and fairly protected from the wind. Congrats on the BOAT (bust out another thousand). Hope y'all have a great time.

Thunderbird is not bad but thick with rednecks. Eufala and Texoma can get really choppy. Murray is nice but I'd have a hard time driving past Arbuckle to get there. Tenkiller and Grand are really nice but a bit of a haul if you're only going for the weekend.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Murray, we've been going for over thirty years. The water is beautiful and there are coves to go play in. Just beat the other boats out to a cove. Most coves have a bouy in it to tie off to. Back in the day, the coves had floating docks. It was a race to get the dock that you could claim all day for playing.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the lakes I go to are quite a drive for you.
Texoma and Eufaula can get very choppy.
Broken Bow is beautiful.
McGee Creek is also a nice lake but getting over crowded.
I'm mostly interested in what kind of boat you got. I guess this could make a difference on lake choice. Mine was a terrible a Texoma boat because of the rough water and a great McGree Creek boat because of the calm, smooth coves.

Last edited:

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm mostly interested in what kind of boat you got. I guess this could make a difference on lake choice. Mine was a terrible a Texoma boat because of the rough water and a great McGree Creek boat because of the calm, smooth coves.

I appreciate all the feedback. I bought a 2017 Mastercraft NXT22. The guy helping me said Lakes like Texoma will be very rough for this type of boat.

IMG_3749.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom