FBI-NICS Prepping For UBC's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is this any different than what is available now. I sold a gun that I had suspicions regarding the buyer. I did the transaction through an FFL to be on the safe side.

That's where my confusion lied. I thought an FFL could do this now, log it in, transfer, log it out....?

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MightyMouse - I spoke to Ratski yesterday and he said that his ATF point of contact told him they (ATF) were discussing allowing a modified 4473 for private sales and it would not require the gun info just purchaser info necessary to do the background check. You may want to ask the question or make such a suggestion to your ATF POC.
Many private sellers would like to be able to access a check system but adamantly do not want weapon info passed.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MightyMouse - I spoke to Ratski yesterday and he said that his ATF point of contact told him they (ATF) were discussing allowing a modified 4473 for private sales and it would not require the gun info just purchaser info necessary to do the background check. You may want to ask the question or make such a suggestion to your ATF POC.
Many private sellers would like to be able to access a check system but adamantly do not want weapon info passed.

This could be a slippery slope that would eventually require all private sales to use the NICS. The gun information would not be known but information on the potential buyer could be recorded.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This could be a slippery slope that would eventually require all private sales to use the NICS. The gun information would not be known but information on the potential buyer could be recorded.

I t could be abused that way. I suppose such a system would be better if it purged the data after the check and I would personally find that useful but I'd bet that would cause others to oppose such a system on the grounds that after the fact there would be no way to verify it was ever done. I like the idea because many folks, like me, would like to have a reliable simple and non-intrusive way to run a quick BC on a potential buyer. I'd use simply as part of my due diligence.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I t could be abused that way. I suppose such a system would be better if it purged the data after the check and I would personally find that useful but I'd bet that would cause others to oppose such a system on the grounds that after the fact there would be no way to verify it was ever done. I like the idea because many folks, like me, would like to have a reliable simple and non-intrusive way to run a quick BC on a potential buyer. I'd use simply as part of my due diligence.

I like the idea somewhat as well. I know there are privacy issues involved but a static list that could be anonymously reviewed would solve the slippery slope. Or, maybe type in the last name and see the entire listing of those with that last name. It would keep the buyer somewhat anonymous in most situations; especially for those with a common last name. Again, however, there is a privacy issue that could be abused for those that are prohibited from owning a firearm. There is no easy answer. I like the option we have now - take it to an FFL to transfer the gun if you have a suspicion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom