FDNY.......Is this lady FF a liability?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as the standard is applied equally to all genders and races and classes of employees, I'm fine. There are some departments where the only time you take an agility test is when you're hired. If you're going to enforce a standard at hiring, enforce it for continued employment.

That said: she missed the standard by 20 seconds. She's clearly capable of meeting the standard. Why she can't push herself a little harder is not for us to discern or excuse. Train hard this year with a friend who's a good runner, and come back next year. Then again, the department has already invested an academy class in her, so they should do their best to salvage her, assuming the rest of her performance met standards.

When I was in the Army, I failed my End-of-Cycle PT test for Basic. I hate running - always have - and missed it by about 45 seconds. I was pushed back three weeks to a New Start company, and finally passed the EOC test for Basic. At the end of AIT, I failed it again, 3 times. The last failure was less than 15 seconds on the run. That should have sent me home. But my Drill Sergeant went to bat for me with the Battalion Commander, and she agreed to waive the last failure if I could pass one one my own. At 2100, that DS walked me out to the track, lined me up, and yelled "Go!" After the first lap, he realized I was off the pace, so he ran with me the rest of the run to pace me. After he had already done 6 miles earlier in the day! I made it by almost a full minute, thanks to him. /shrug.

Is this the only thing she's failing? Can they put her in an office position for 3 or 6 months? Seems a waste to fire her at this point without recovering some of the investment.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree everyone should hire the most qualified applicant no matter their color/gender

This ...

That seems to get skewed race ratios. Hence quotas....

And that is BS ... If you can't pass the test, you can't pass the test ... Go find something else to do or work until you can pass the test and come back. Life ain't fair and it ain't easy. We don't always get what we want. Quotas and "carry overs" endanger other first responders' lives ... Not to mention the life of the one who can't hack the training ... ARGH!! **deleted everything I wanted to say because it's probably not appropriate to say in a public forum** ... It's BS ...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's really kinda cool being so good everyone else gets a handicap.

Yeah ... problem is EVERY SINGLE PERSON I've met who's been let slide has turned out to be an embarrassment to their department and a slacker to the nth degree ... These people spend the next 20 years thinking they are owed everything they want just because they want it, whining and crying to everybody and their dog if they don't get it and just generally being a PITA if the rest of the department is lucky ... Not to mention they destroy the morale of the good men and women around them. It's disgusting ... and it's dangerous ... to both our men and women in uniform and to those they serve (that would be us) ...

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to change the subject but yes this is starting to happen in the military. Men and women have different pt standards (on average a maximum score for a female would be barely passing for a male with the exception of situps and crunches) now that the DOD is wanting to put women in combat arms they are having trouble finding women that can pass the male standards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom